ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 78 280z and I am wondering what others have done to quiet the interior noise. Are there any reasonably priced options to reduce interior noise?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I have a 78 280z and I am wondering what
> others have done to quiet the interior
> noise. Are there any reasonably priced
> options to reduce interior noise?

I don't know what state your car is in but quite a few people seem to end up with no carpet in their car if they start doing stuff to their car, so if you have no carpet then get some, also, try padding out the bonnet, it makes quite a difference, my brother's car is a lot quieter on the inside than the outside and I say the padding(basically the stuff you have below carpeting) is the reason. I hope this helps somewhat.

Something I'm sure I'll be worrying about later is how to make the outside quieter. Anyone know about that? Is it an exhaust issue or are there other things to look at?

Project#2501

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
check out the car tips section at home.earthlink.net/~icnicon . there is some information on that posted from the texas z car news letter (like a year old but still is good) im working on doing what they did but dont know how far i will go. you can also get Dynamat and some other soud dediners that work great

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I don't know what state your car is in but
> quite a few people seem to end up with no
> carpet in their car if they start doing
> stuff to their car, so if you have no carpet
> then get some, also, try padding out the
> bonnet, it makes quite a difference, my
> brother's car is a lot quieter on the inside
> than the outside and I say the
> padding(basically the stuff you have below
> carpeting) is the reason. I hope this helps
> somewhat.

> Something I'm sure I'll be worrying about
> later is how to make the outside quieter.
> Anyone know about that? Is it an exhaust
> issue or are there other things to look at?

> Project#2501

I use a dynomax turbo muffler. Much improvement in power and is only loud when there is a strain on the engine. Like taking off and going up steep hills. At idle you can barely tell the engine is on from inside. Sam '75 280z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
On my 72 I added foil backed fiber type soundproofing mat from Pep Boys (2 rolls). I pulled all the flooring off and used spray trim adhesive to cover every horizontal surface and the trans tunnel. I ripped out what was left of the original rotting soundproofing. This made a big difference.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I used a roll of dynomat super in my car, the problem was my stereo was not easily heard over road noise, i put it onthe inside of my door skin and the inside of the hatch(the vynil piece covers it) and put a big piece under my headliner, the car sounds so much more sturdy and road noise was diminished greatly, and also make sure you dont have any holes in your firewall that arent plugged.

Good luck-evan

oh yeah, there is a new spray version that is out and looks good too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.