Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do WONDERs on stock ZX wheels.
Really nice job.
If you scrub too hard the clear coat comes off and then you dont get a deep shine.
It took me 3 hours and 2 boxes of pads. The wheels had been sitting for 4 years (with the rest of the car)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I put some ZX wheels on my '78(heh,heh got them and practically brand new tires on them too for $60 at a junk yard).Anyway,they have clear hard stuff flaging off which I am assuming is either some kind of sealer or the finish.You think those sos pads would clean mine up and then i could just get some aluminum polish to shine them up??

·
Registered
78 Posts
forget the sos pads, and use aircraft stripper instead. it won't harm the aluminum, and you'll be able to hose off the clear coat after applying the stripper instead of manually rubbing off the clear.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Now just where in the heck do I get aircraft stripper???If it's much more than the SOS pads,screw it-a little elbow grease hurt anyone.Thx legal but you should really give a bit more info on suggestions like that.I mean if you had said paint remover or something general I wouldn't ask........Who knows,maybe I'm just ignorant and everybody knows where to get the stuff......Dum da Dum...

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<b>RE: SOS Pads..</b>

hey, i think aircraft stripper is sold at nappa auto parts, some people metioned it to me and i though the same thing, but i am pretty sure that i have seen it at napa auto parts and true value hardware stores.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Multiple Choice Question.

Aircraft Stripper would be sold at:

A) A laundrymat.

B) An aircraft supply store.

C) The town's red-light district.

D) At the local Moose lodge.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RE: Multiple Choice Question.

HA! Aircraft stripper is for wussies.
Just kidding. If I KNEW about aircraft stripper, I probably would've saved myself raw hands and 3 hours of work.
but they look fantastic!

·
Registered
205 Posts
you can get aircraft stripper in any automotive paint supply store, and most parts stores, such as pep boys. it is really potent stuff so be careful when using it. i recommend it because it will cut the time it takes you to strip your wheels from 3-4 hours to maybe a half an hour if you do all four at once. i have done this on at least 8 sets of wheels and have never had a problem. if you have any other questions, just email me directly.

·
Registered
486 Posts
How about the rubber?

I have used the stripper for
other things, but never near rubber tires. Does it hurt them? Oh, and I got mine at Auto Zone, pretty inexpensive too. About $6 for a quart.
Joshua L.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Epoxy Stripper from Home Depot takes off the clear coat very easily. Spray it on, wait 5-10 min and hose it off. I did not take the tires off, and used a small brush to put the stripper near the edge. Then buff.

·
Registered
345 Posts
U GOT IT GM

You don't need aircraft stripper to lift the clearcoat on Nissan wheels. It works, but so does most Methyl Ethyl Chloride strippers (BIX, Stripeze etc.). All home product stores have these products in abundance. TO THOSE INTERESTED IN THIS TOPIC USE THE SEARCH ENGINE AND LOOK UP WHEELS.

·
Registered
345 Posts
U GOT IT GM

You don't need aircraft stripper to lift the clearcoat on Nissan wheels. It works, but so does most Methyl Ethyl Chloride strippers (BIX, Stripeze etc.). All home product stores have these products in abundance. TO THOSE INTERESTED IN THIS TOPIC USE THE SEARCH ENGINE AND LOOK UP WHEELS.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aircraft stripper worked in minutes!! Great tip

Thanks, needed that very practical tip. I'm just glad I waited for it instead of trying some real difficult way to get the clear coat off the wheels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.