ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok since it has gotten a little colder here in missouri now...my windows in my 81zx keep on fogging up..so what do i do? i turn on the air conditioner...that works great...but the only problem is after the air is on for some time...or after i turn it off...the fan that keeps the fuel injectors from vapor locking makes a horrible screeching noise...and then when i push the clutch in and out for a while or i jam on the gas...it will usually stop...but if i dont use the air conditioner it runs fine...i also have a fairly large stereo system in my car....and do u guys think that it might be too much strain on my alternator or something like that?..im not really good at fixing and seeing what the problem is...but im learning fast..and u guys/gals are a great help..thanks for the help the help

·
Registered
80 Posts
Normally the fan you're talking about only works when the engine is off.

I know that if my alternator belt is not tight and I put a heavy load on the belt squeals quite violently.

With the engine off, reach down and try to turn the alternator by hand. If you can move it, even just a little bit, then the belt hsould be tightened or replaced.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

·
Registered
571 Posts
What makes fog is ambient exterior humidity as well as the human exhale as seen by teens in a parked car, if you crack your window it will all go away fast.
You can kill it by heat of dehumidify by the AC.
You can freeze or dry up your lips from dry heat.
This is all hepatica because I’m in Florida and am just speculating.
But it sounds logical, and I was cold once back in 89.

Madeline
HWD, FLA, USA, Dust Mote 89AB

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
i would go with kevin. sounds like a loose belt somewhere. i would check those. i have an '81 280zx and it is easy to tightel a lot of the. just take a 12mm socket and tighten the bolt on the idle pulley. for the alternator you will have to loosen the alternator bolt and use a rod of some sort to pry off the block to tighten the belt and then tighten the bolt with the pressure still on. you should be able to turn the belt about a 1/4 turn. you don't want to too tight or too lose or it will break. good luck and i hope this helps. bama

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Re: Belts

Sometimes even though a belt is tightened to spec, if it is old and has gotten a shiny patina to the face of it, it will squeal when a sudden load is applied to it, just like when an air conditioner compressor kicks on.

Check the faces of your belt, if they look shiny or glazed, it may be time to use some belt dressing or replace the belt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.