ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok in my 81 280zx whatever that fan is that keeps the engine from vapor locking is causing quite a ruckus....it just starts to screetch and it does it right when i turn my car on....but i popped the hood and unhooked it and it quit making that noise...but i was wondering what that is....my dad said that it could be my alternator....so i was just wondering what u guys thought...

· Registered
289 Posts
the FI cooler shouldn't run until you turn the car off...? so you got me there. If it is running it is going to be pulling a few more amps out of your altrenator increasing its load, so it "might" cause it to do so. But i would be asking the question why your cooler was running on startup....????? any one else got info?

good luck

· Registered
1,153 Posts
Bad sensor switch, or bad wiring from the sensor switch. It should not turn on until the engine temp gets above 265 (don't quote me, I don't remember exactly). The fan is meant to cool your fuel rail when you shut off the engine, hopefully preventing vapor lock. Regardless, it shouldn't screech. It may be bad, or binding. For sure, check the wiring to the fan, see if any of the wires are shorting to ground, exposed. If the wiring looks good, check or replace the sensor.

I'd yank the whole thing and be done with it. There are better ways to avoid vapor lock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.