ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably getting an Eclipse GSX and I just won't need this car. The GSX is far superior, and I have been trying to get rid of this car. I'm in Chattanooga, make me an offer. [email protected]

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm...yes but the GSX is all wheel drive and can launch at boost level, giving it an off the line advantage :)

The GSX is DOHC and has 200 hp while the turbo Z is SOHC and 200 hp...so I'm going with the GSX. Now if this were a twin turbo 300ZX, that'd be another story lol

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Put a turbo that is properly sized for our 3.0 displacment, and that stupid little 4cyl is going to be put to shame AWD or not. Dont forget about the head gasket, and timing belt breakage that plagues those cars, You are asking for trouble buying a DSM. If you do get one buy a 1st gen ONLY. Much better car.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And by the way, every last spec, except the 84 turbo, is showing a mid to low 15 sec 1/4 mile time, where'd you get high 14s from? I see people on DSM sites with stock 91 DSM AWD (what I am looking at) getting high 14s.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I don't know man... the Z31 engine still looks more appealing to me, and since I have modified mine a little and have seen the power increase with just an intercooler, exhaust, and a boost controller I would rather stick with the v6 in the Z31. This is also pretty impressive <http://www.redz31.com>

Post Edited (Jun 18, 2:28pm)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a 97 RS Eclipse...had no problems with it at all, put 100 miles a day on it, I was very pleased with that car. Of course I wasn't driving the piss out of it either. A little spirited driving here and there. Plus, this GSX has a Stage 3 Buschur Racing short block in it that's capable of holding 700 hp. So I don't have to worry about that part of the car not working right :)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The GSX can launch at boost because it's all wheel drive and you can rev it to boost and dump it and go. It's a 5 speed.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
DSMS are ****, but if all you want is a cheap quick car then thats what your gonna get. Reliability is poor, cool factor is 0, and looks........ well we just wont go there.

·
Registered
504 Posts
are they any street legal 9 second Z31s? not many, thers tons of 1g dsms running 9s and better daily, dont talk **** about the dsm just becuz this is a Z forum, awd will own, unfortunatly
Ive owned 4 Zs, never owned a dsm besides my NA stealth, I have a mx6 turbo with mods,
Anyone that disses the 1g boosted DSM has no clue

·
Registered
14 Posts
A bro-in-law had a 97' Eclipse RS, tranny snapped a week after buying it, went through 3 tranny's in 6 months, and gave up n got rid of the car, and sadly enough, he ended up with a civic... but had no problems with it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would never buy one. I had two friends with them and within a year, one broke a rod and the other one had the timing belt break at like 7000 rpm.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's 7000 RPM. That's a lot. Just because a timing belt broke doesn't mean the DSM is crap. Timing belts break, he should have changed it, or found out when the previous owner had it changed last. And depending on the model (whether it had the actual mitsu block), the rod isn't faulty. The Mitsu 4g63 is **** near bullet proof...it's just as strong and reliable as any Z block.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.