ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently working on a friends 86 300ZX that he got after seeing mine, and he wants to make it a show car. He wants to make it so that the headlights only go up when you hit the button on the console and not when you turn the headlights on. I haven't tried to do it yet because of the price and rarity of the headlight motors. Someone has to have done this, any help or a good starting point would be great. Schematics work well too.

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I searched forever for a page like that and turned up nothing, thanks.

·
Registered
793 Posts
go call stu8 i was going to give the same link

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
or you can just blip your high beams on, works too. Then you don't have to remember to push the button again.

·
Registered
76 Posts
you dont have to remember to push the button again, once the lights go up, the only way to get them back down is to turn the lights off

I've been suffering with this gay ass mod for years, but im too lazy to remove 3 screws and plug the connection back together. Maybe when the button wears out I'll do it, until then I have gotten good at just getting the lights up so I can actually see.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I never raise my lights. I swear it makes so little difference with them up or down that I just leave them down. I think it looks better. in fact, I was almost thinking of buying a projector headlight set from a z32 and removing the z31 headlight assembly altogether, and then just mounting the cover from them back on somehow.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
clownsrus: yes you do have to push the button again, or then my car is an oddity. Pushing it once will bring the lights up, and then pushing it again will make the lights go down when you turn them off on the headlight switch.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
SINISTAR556 wrote:

> I'm currently working on a friends 86 300ZX that he got after
> seeing mine, and he wants to make it a show car. He wants to
> make it so that the headlights only go up when you hit the
> button on the console and not when you turn the headlights on.
> I haven't tried to do it yet because of the price and rarity of
> the headlight motors. Someone has to have done this, any help
> or a good starting point would be great. Schematics work well
> too.
>
> Thanks
>

You would have to rewire something for this to work the way you are describing. With that plug-disconnect mod, any time you use the high beams, the lights will pop up and stay up until you turn the lights all the way off.

·
Registered
80 Posts
so this works for every one but me. me and my auto tech teacher could not find those same wires on my 87, i disconected every plug one at a time and none of them do the lights poping up. anyone know y?

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
yup. come up when i push the button, stay up until i push the button again AND turn the lights off. stay down if i don't push the button, even with highbeams or foglights on. And that doesn't seem like a problem to me. I like it that way. I hate having the lights up.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
then something is wrong or someone else rewired it. all three of my current Z31s opperate in the way I described. As do all other Z31s I've seen with this mod.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.