ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I found some rims at a junk yard. They're marked '86 300zx. I just assumed they'd fit my '77. A couple days ago while reading the forum, I found out they won't fit. I put them up on ebay and had 9 emails from "experts". Everything from "I got me an '86 and it don't got them rims so them caynt be offin a '86" to, "If they're off a Z car and they have four lugs, they should fit yer car". Anyway, I have two questions about the style of wheel found at http://members.tripod.com/dutzy/Zrims.jpg
1) What year are they from?
2) Will they fit a '77?
C) If not, would anybody like to buy them?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Pat,
Looks like a 300ZX rim to me. Problem is that the 300ZX has a front wheel drive offset so, unless you use some healthy spacers, they won't fit your '77 which uses a 0 to 10mm offset. IE: on a 7" wide rim the mounting surface of the wheel should be 3.5"-3.9" from the wheel rim edge toward the center of the car. On a 6.5" wode wheel that would be 3.25"-3.65". These rims are probably much more than that.
Phantom

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phantom is correct. Those are 300ZX rims and the bolt pattern is correct but requires spacers and I forgot what size. If anyone has their JTR manual handly, it specifies what is needed. Mine is buried in one of 147 boxes as I am in the miodst of moving.

One other 14x7 rim that is a nice option for Zs is the early Toyota Supra rims. I had these on my JTR V-8 Z with 225/60-14s. See them in "The car " section of my page at http://members.xoom.com/Turbo240Z/scotties240zt.htm

If I recall, I had to open up the inside of the centerbore slightly and you need early 300ZX lug nuts.

Scottie

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, was the 300zx front wheel drive or is that just what the rims are called? I mentioned fwd offset in my ebay description and was informed about five times that they were rear wheel drive.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<b>RE: Somebody,Anybody, PLEASE I.D. MY RIMS</b>

Mister 4 wrote:
-------------------------------
FYI...Sorry to bother, but just a reminder that HTML is enabled in the forum if you like to know...heh heh

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RE: Rims are 84/85 300zx non turbo

Pat, I have used those on a 240z, but the fronts had to be modified. I think the center hole had to be machined to the hub, and or a spacer used to prevent the tires from hitting the struts. If you want to go 15", I would use 81 turbo, or 82/3 turbo 280zx wheels. They fit without any mods, and look great. Joe 1-800-533-5659

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.