ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while making a 30 mile trip i noticed a very small amout of smoke (that you can only see when the light hits it) coming from my ashtray but even after i took it out i still saw smoke so thinking there was a fire i pull over and the smoke stops. stuck in the middle of nowere i take off again and it starts up, still just a little but now its coming form under my shift boot so i get to my place and park it
bought some fluid 75w-90
could this fix the problem?
also when im in netural and the cars on it makes a noise like air almost then goes aways when in gear. could this be my clutch?
or could the smoke be from adding too much acetone, cause ive heard of people saying there stick shift would get hot?
also if i drive on it (which i have not been for the past week) will this end up ruining my tranny?
all prices on fixes will help since im poor:(
and miss driving my z

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
acetone will not cause you're tranny to smoke.
two things come to my mind:
1) when you replaced the tranny fluid, did you fill it all the way up?
2) did you make sure the drain plug sealed properly?

sounds to me like you're running a tranny thats dangerously low on fluid and its overheating. if this is the case, you'll need to replace the fried fluid and make sure its all the way full.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Does the smoke have any kind of odor that you can narrow down and help identify the problem?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive only owned my z for 6 months and wasnt planning on changing it for at least a year.
there are no leaks at all.
and the smoke had no smell at all
is there a dipstick or way of telling if im low on fluid in the engine bay?

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
First thing you should do when buying a car, at least in my opinion, is to take it for a FULL service at a trustable mechanic. A good mechanic will spot just about every single little problem when doing a full service, I personally wouldn't be waiting until something is "smoking" before I get it looked at.

Your engine could be floating around in mud, all the fluids could be totally messed up causing you some serious problems. Full service incl. oil change is needed desperately by the sounds of it to me at the very least.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.