ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hopefully I'll be having some spare cash later this month to play a little with the Z, for which I'll get the eprom upgrade from coz (so I'll be needing some gentle soul to buy it for me and ship it over here =P) and I was looking into updating my stereo head unit

I was looking at the blaupunkts that have no CD, only SD card readers, like the melbourne sd27 or the brisbane sd48 but could someone shed some light of other online stores to look at other than ebay, fry's, best buy, circuit city and wallmart? =P

I remember getting most of my stuff from best buy or fry's when I lived back in cali, but they don't seem to have their full stock on their websites.

I was looking into spending somewhere around 100-150. again... these are a lot cheaper since they don't have cd players in them.

other brands input is welcome aswell!

thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
315 Posts
try www.partsexpress.com sometimes they put up nice headunits there. They also carry a great selection of drivers and crossovers also, have bought from them before and they are really helpfull..

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Why not get a unit that has a cd player AND a usb? Not having a CD player is just silly, especially when they all read MP3 format now. That gets you 200
+ songs per CD. USB/iPod interfaces let you use whatever player you want, much easier than loading up an SD card each time.

You can see if Crutchfield or similar sites ship to you. Personally I like Pioneer/Kenwood units and have used several of them.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I second the Pioneer/Kenwood recommendation. Seems like every time I have tried other brands, they just do not hold up.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the web page Dangling, and as kenwood, I've used kenwood before, but I really don't like their sound =S I used to have a kenwood setup in my old beemer and I guess I never really liked the configuration.

I love my sony xplod, but I hate burning cd's everytime... that's why I want the sd feature a lot more, it's stuck in so the face looks flush and hold up like 8 times more a cd does and its reusable by just adding songs to it, unlike the usb that sticks out.

anybody ever used Boss??? not BOSE... BOSS

edit: or JVC for that matter...

thanks for the input!

any other websites are welcome!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I have an alpine that has a thumbdrive connector that runs to the glovebox. no CDs necessary, a few 4GB thumbdrives hold a ridiculous amount of music and they're cheap as **** so you can buy a half dozen or more if you like.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Cuis-z,

mind sharing the model? I was looking into a user friendly headunit as well... I'd hate having to look for a particular song trhough 4 gigs of music on a POS system =P

·
Registered
2,547 Posts

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I will also recommend Alpine. They are good units, but usually without as many bells and whistles as Pioneer/Kenwood. JVC is junk IMO, and I've never heard of BOSS. Liking the sound of a kenwood? The head unit has little to do with the sound necessarily (they do, but it's a technical discussion), your speakers are what makes the sound.

Running a usb or other aux line to the glove box, center console, etc is much cleaner and universal than the SD route, but again to each his own. You have to move files on and off of the SD card just like you do with a CD.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
easiest solution is to hook up your iPod in the USB port. That is what i do anyways and it makes things 100x easier.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Try WoofersEtc, they often have good open-box or refurbished deals, along with good prices on new items.

I'm partial to Eclipse as far as head units go, but I haven't had much experience with other brands.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
For reference: Clarion FZ409

To Buy: Click Here

Reviews are good. I'm using a 4 or so year old Sony Xplod head until with a 3.5mm to RCA cable run under the trim to the center console and shifter to the back of the head unit. I put my mp3 player on random and off I go. Most stereos have a crappy 3 band EQ now and you can never get the sound "just right."

·
Registered
449 Posts
KyleKidd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> easiest solution is to hook up your iPod in the
> USB port. That is what i do anyways and it makes
> things 100x easier.

Where do you put your iPod? no cupholders like other cars....

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I put it in the center counsel. I have a cord running behind it so i just plug it in and leave it in there. Its great because not only can me and my front seat passenger reach it, but passengers in the back can as well. My head can also be controlled from the iPod, so that passengers in the back can change the songs, make a play list, ect.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Alpine is one of those brands that have not been good for me. Last one I had I bought new. Right after the warranty period expired, it started shorting out. When I went back to where I bought it, the guy said, "Yeah, they do that sometimes."

The Pioneer I have now, which was only about $250, has every possible adjustment for various sound fields, the sub, etc. It would seem impossible to not be able to find the right sound for your particular liking.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input guys! greatly appreciated! I'll look into that clarion... looks physically attractive =)

I hope its a good brand aswell =P

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
salvadoran300zx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the input guys! greatly appreciated!
> I'll look into that clarion... looks physically
> attractive =)
>
> I hope its a good brand aswell =P

Many of the factory stereos in new cars are clarion.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh wow! =0 good to hear! that does give me some reassurance, thanks for the heads up!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.