ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tore up another rear diff. mount, and I am about to replace it with a solid unit.

Is there a compromise between the stock unit and a solid mount? (MSA didn't have anything stronger than stock and less harsh than the solid when I ordered mine.

I don't care about the noise, but I am worried about vibration.

Has anyone out there had experience driving a z with a solid mount?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
how did you tear up another one?!?!?!? how many have you gone through?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had the triple webers for about 7 years... It's been in two different cars... This will be the 4th change in 7 years.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I sandwhiched two layers of thin rubbber off a bicycle inner tube between my mount to help with any vibrating noise. Works real good and still quiet.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I just welded up my stock mount. But the vibration/noise was kind of bad at 60 to 70 while driving down the highway. So I also solid mounted the rear of the diff and the vibration/noise went away.

I got a 5 inch long piece of 1.5" angle iron (0.250" thick steel) and bolted it the 2 big studs coming out of the back of the diff. Then ran a 1/2" bolt from the angle iron down to the lower crossmember (there is already a small hold there). Then I slide a piece of 1/2" id water pipe over the bolt so it would hold the angle iron in compression and tension.

All three of my Z's are done this way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.