ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sob Story

530 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  SupSay Z 
#1 ·
Well, it happened. I totalled my 86 300ZX N/A. I lost control and ended up in the ditch. I hit the culvert with the back end of my car, flipping the car over the driveway into the other side of the ditch. Luckily I escaped with just a knot on my head and a bad case of whiplash. The engine stayed in tact and in good condition with 81,000 miles on it. The question I had was would it be a good idea to buy the car back from the insurance agency and part out what I can from the car? Thanks for your input.

Jarald

#2 ·
That sucks

I did the same to my 86 N/A only much more extreme. I was in the hospital for a while and I flipped my car six times. (according to the police report) I was coming down a mountain and went off a 40ft embankment, got some mild amnesia, and fractured part of my skull, though I was okay considering what the car looked like. I don't remeber the wreck I just saw the car, it was not salvagable, one of my rims split in two pieces and the oil pan had been punctured by a large object, and both of my rear axles broke. No telling what else, I didn't even bother to look at it and try to buy it back, though in better news I got paid 2 times what I paid for the car and didn't really worry about it. How much does your Ins, want for it?

Pike

#3 ·
Re: That sucks

Look at it this way. Shows you how well these cars are built. I know for a fact that if you did that in a Camaro or Trans Am of the same year you would have been killed! Depends on if you want another Z31. If you do, there are plenty of Z31s in need of a drivetrain that can be bought pretty cheap. It sounds like if you were wanting to sell it for parts, just do some research on prices of parts that are left on the car. good luck.

#5 ·
Re: That sucks

i'm sorry to hear that. i just recently totalled my cherried out 280zxt. i was doin about 110 when i came around a corner. stupid me forgot about the dinky spare tire i had just put on (i know very stupid) and it didn't hold to the road. i flipped off backwards down a very steep 60 ft enbankment (can't ahrdly walk down it) flipped 3 times one being end over end and landed upside down. i crawled out the back hartch with only a few cuts.

#6 ·
Back to your question

Glad to know you're OK. The insurance company may not sell it back to you for liability reasons and for $$$$$$ reasons. They can probably get more for it by selling it to a junkyard. So, save your money and start looking for a new baby.

Good Luck!

#7 ·
Re: Back to your question

I just found out that I'm getting 3200 for it and they will sell it back to me for 100. The only problem is storage. Should I or shouldn't I? I appreciate everyone's input. I guess I'm not the only one that screws up a little. Thanks
Jarald

#8 ·

you lucky duck. Insurance Co. takes them to a salvage auction which is sold to the highest bidder. If I were you I would buy it back and either save the engine & tranny for another car, or sell the parts on Ebay & Z31. Make some money out of your misfortune. Good Luck.

#9 ·

Good deal. I only got 3000. for my 85t but the ins co asked if I wanted to keep the car. Mine only had minor damage but the cost of a well done repair was more than the value of the car. I still drive it. I don't think most ins co's want to fool with an old car like this. If you part it you can make some extra cash but make sure you have a way to dispose of what's left. A junkyard won't pay much for wrecked z31 even if it has all the parts. Time for a turbo:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.