ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 150 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
14,442 Posts
"But still I have trouble seeing it being the world-beater it is made out to be. "

Werd.

I cant see forking $70k for a car that looks like the ugly version of a G35 Coupe. It will not outperform the other cars in its price range, and so you have to go on looks. But it does not LOOK as good as the other cars in its range. So why all the hype about a car that is lacking in all aspecs? For $50k, you can buy a brand new G35 and build the **** out of it.

If the car was $50 grand instead of $70k, then I'd wager that you wouldnt hear anything from Tony or Dan, because at $50 grand it would own all. If it was 3100 lbs and/or mid-engined and sleek I could see $90-100 grand. But I dont see forking out $70k for what only amounts to a G35 with an AWD gimic.

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
oops, I missed this one!

nismo73 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I won't disagree that lighter cars
> have advantages, but why then have none of the
> manufacturers focused on this?

Good question. I do not know the answer. It seems totally stupid to me that cars should get heavier and heavier and bigger and bigger all the time. Only thing I can figure is that big dumb heavy Americans want big dumb heavy cars.

In the more hardcore sportbike world, weight gets MUCH more attention.

> At what
> point and under what situations are the smaller,
> lighter cars no longer an advantage though? On a
> wide open track with long straights do you have
> the same level of success?

Close to it. Watkins Glen and Mosport are probably the highest-speed tracks I go to, and I've done pretty well there. Smaller tracks like NHIS and Lime Rock do favor lightweight a bit more, though. I'm sure at the Nurburgring big power is more of an advantage than at most tracks.

> Your thinking is
> sound, but why do none of the car companies seem
> think the same way?

I do not know, but part of it is that Western Civilization has become a culture of massive overconsumption. It's like our RELIGION. More and more, corporations control the laws that govern us and all that we see on TV and hear on the radio. Americans are clearly already spending as much as they possibly can (MORE even!), but for some reason the perception remains that "progress" is only defined as continuing to spend more and more.

This is of course unsustainable...

Why do people seem to WANT overweight vehicles? I don't understand that at all. But people seem to be less and less capable of independent objective thought, and more interested in doing what they believe will improve their image. I mean, can people actually LIKE driving Cadillac Escalades, I mean REALLY enjoy the driving experience, outside of the "hey everybody look at ME" aspect?

Anyway, with fuel prices continuing to rise and other factors, it could be that efficiency is about to become important again. In which case weights should begin to come down.

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
AMEN Brutha Dan!

"Americans are clearly already spending as much as they possibly can (MORE even!), but for some reason the perception remains that "progress" is only defined as continuing to spend more and more. "

Like I said, because it's new, it HAS to be automatically 'better'...

Part and parcel of the above disease!

Wasn't it Billy Joel that had a lyric "Why spend money on a new pair of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of speakers?"

Not today's thinking, that's for sure.

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
Yawn....

"I really question just how much time with a Skyline you have spent. Why don't you post some pics of your cars. With you in the picture. Prove to me that you are in deed this expert on the Skyline that you profess to be."

Who's putting words in who's mouth now? You are the one claiming to be an expert on the GT-R.

Debate? I said the original GT-R was NOT AN OVERWEIGHT car. I never said it was a LIGHTWEIGHT car. That is THREE times now that you have missed it clearly. Maybe I should stop now and see if you get that POINT now.

Photos? I can scan a few. But frankly I'm on the way to Canada in the A.M. and have a few priorities other than proving what I drove daily from 1984 to 1989...

Amongst other cars I owned whilst living in Japan.

Really, I was more focused on the Z's as the Skyline was just something I could carry friends around in on trips to the north end of the island.

And once I got the Suzuki Jeep, offroading became more of a focus than taking day trips to look at elephant grass blowing around...

But IF I find the time to scan a few snappies, what are you offerring in the way of payback to me. I mean, I go through all the trouble of proving someting to someone who SAYs a lot of stuff without any proof either...

What makes it worth my while to post these items. Will you leave, and stop posting the GT-R Psycophantic Swarf on a Z-Car site? That MIGHT make it worth my while... Is that on the table?

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
Ditto, Dan!

"FWIW, I don't *HATE* the GTR. I am quite disappointed with it. I'm as interested as anyone to see how it performs at the track. My suspicion is that it won't live up to the hype."

Indeed, Dan. But me being me, I'm more wont to make the following statement:

But I'm rarely wrong.

That's what gets under Nismo 73's skin so much.

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
Ballistic, you sayin' I'm NOT crazy?

"If the car was $50 grand instead of $70k, then I'd wager that you wouldnt hear anything from Tony or Dan, because at $50 grand it would own all. "

So REASONABLE people who are not blinded by marketing hype ARE getting what I'm saying! For WHAT IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE it's way overpriced. It is, after all, just a Datsun.

Thank gawd, given the belligerence of some, you would think I was typing with socks on my fingertips....

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Re: Ditto, Dan!

Tony D Wrote:
> "FWIW, I don't *HATE* the GTR. I am quite
> disappointed with it. I'm as interested as anyone
> to see how it performs at the track. My suspicion
> is that it won't live up to the hype."
>
> Indeed, Dan. But me being me, I'm more wont to
> make the following statement:
>
> But I'm rarely wrong.
>
> That's what gets under Nismo 73's skin so much.

No, you are just full of yourself.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Re: Ditto, Dan!

Tony D Wrote:
> "FWIW, I don't *HATE* the GTR. I am quite
> disappointed with it. I'm as interested as anyone
> to see how it performs at the track. My suspicion
> is that it won't live up to the hype."
>
> Indeed, Dan. But me being me, I'm more wont to
> make the following statement:
>
> But I'm rarely wrong.
>
> That's what gets under Nismo 73's skin so much.

I think what gets under his skin is that you are so full of yourself.

141 - 150 of 150 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.