ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the Z on a scale today to see how the car faired with all the extreme mods and additions I have made this year...

This is the first year that I made reverse progress! *&#@[email protected]&*!!!!!

The car wieghed 2660 minus me last year, and it now weighs in (after compensating for difference in fuel in the tank) now weighs 2755 lbs.

Geez I only added another 14 points of bracing..added larger calipers/roters/spacers and adapters. slightly heavier seats..heavier tranny, and an oil cooler and extra oil capacity...plus many little things that were required with putting in the Z31 turbo motor in my 280Z.

The car in full street trim and 3/4 tank of gas and myself in the car it weighs in at a not so light 3000 lbs!! It looks like the car will have to go on a diet again...

I am curious to what other modified z's weigh? I know that 240's are in the 2300 lb range depending on the year..but how about now...with larger diffs, 5spds, larger wheels/ brakes/ sway bars, roll bars, larger stereos etc....I have heard of several 240's breaking well into the 2500 lb range...

anyone else like to chime in with the weight of their cars?...

Please? I don't want to be the only guy making his z heavier....hehehehe...I'm going to have to turn the boost up some more to make up for the weight increase..hehehe

Seeya
Scott.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have a 5 spd. & toyota p/u calipers no front bumper,hood,grill & w/the full size spare she tipped 2260 w/1/2 tank.

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
HP easier...

Always easier to add 10HP than to cut 100 pounds out of the car. Just turn up the wick. I came to that decision long ago.
At least until you are in the 580hp turbo HP range, then you might start getting more from cutting weight, as a turbo 6 in that trim is about as developed as you will be getting.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Re: HP easier...

I'm trying to figure out how to add as much strengthening with as little weight as possible.

So far my 78 is down to 2580 with about 1/2 tank of gas. I'm still running tripples, L29 5spd, no bumpers/shocks, sound deadening, carpet, A/C - well theres not a whole lot to my interior! I have some chassis work mainly behind the rockers and in the floors. I will be adding at least a 8 point cage and probably run tubular frame rails from the radiator to the rear. So I'll be adding some hp, lots of it!

Matt

·
Registered
201 Posts
Re: HP easier...

I have a '73 240 with an '82 turbo motor plus all the weight adding upgrades you mentionad. It weighs 2650 with a full tank (the larger tank from a '75). To compensate, I am running 12 pounds of boost which keeps me happy.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
1970 240Z prepared for solo 2 BSP. Roll bar, big wheels and tires, 4 spd, LSD, etc. 2260 lbs with my 200 lb butt in the seat and 5 gallons of fuel. For a street driven Z I wouldn't worry as much about weight.

But... removing weight is always a better option than increasing horsepower. Weight reduction, in addition to helping acceleration, also helps handling and braking.

- John

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Easy way to go fast...

is to "add lightness." I read that somewhere. You'd probably save a bunch by removing the glass, but then it wouldn't be street legal anymore, I would imagine.

Don't even start with the head gasket stuff Tony D.

·
Registered
402 Posts
My 78 weighs 3000 with me in it too. The turbo,IC and a/c add alot of weight. I thought about removing the bumpers and putting some of those fiberglass pieces on but I don't wan't my hood,grill,IC,condensor,etc. getting rearranged by some half wit using my car as a stopper in a parking lot. Those big bumpers aren't pretty but they're prettier than a bent beak,they saved mine a few times.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
I hear that Tom

I'm in the market for a hood right now due to the very reason you said. Pick up truck bumper right into the beak of my hood on a fresh paint job. Although I'm not sure it still wouldn't have hit me since the truck is so much taller. ****

Matt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.