ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
no not me you perverts the car... finally got her washed and she was in dire need of a good waxing. Then i took the tops off today for the first time in about a month, been quite crappy out lately.

Also i got a lot of work done on a friend's car that she wants me to sell for her. Its an older lady whos uncle or something died recently and left her a house and 2 mercedes. one is a 96 or something E class which she now uses as a DD and the one myself and best friend have been working on is a 1973 Mercedes 450SL hardtop/soft top convertable. Has 86k original miles, original paint which i spent 4 hours polishing the oxidization out of, and jesus you should see the difference.... this car was really well taken care of because after a good polish and carnuba wax this thing looks show room outside a very very minor scratch i couldnt even get to show up on a camera and a tiny speck of rust on one of the bumpers by the rubber seal. the car DOES run but has been sitting for over 5 years and is in dire need of a start up. two reasons i bring this up here to you guys. one, the car sat for so long i am convinced that all the gas evaporated out of the tank and even me adding like 2 gallons into the tank wasnt enough to touch the fuel pickup line, the car is injected but has the old school carb/air cleaner type set-up and when i pour gas in there at WOT it caughs and really wants to start but seems like there isnt enough fuel. should i keep with my instinct and get more good gas for it? also... what do you guys think i can get for this? exterior i rate at 8.5-9 out of 10 (all original) and interior i'd say 7 out of 10 due to some carpet wear and the soft top like all convertables after time gets to them, is in need of some work and/or replacement. The lady that wants me to sell it wants to see atlesat 4k. i was ganna throw it on ebay, do you think i could get this for it?

and now to keep it Z related again, the new dave crombie engine runs like a frickin champ, and she likes the cold front that came through!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
You might get some good responses posting on Car Talk or the S30 forum since there seems to be a Z that's being ressurrected every week.

Basic things are like change all fluids, draing gas, blow out fuel lines, replace fuel filters, replace cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, etc.

Mario

1,096 Posts
How long has it been sitting? You may learn that you have a fuel pump problem. Other common problems to check for is the whole brake system, cooling system including water pump. Another word of advice is pour some MM into all the cylinders and let it set over night just incase if you have any piston ring issues, if the are froze this will help free them up. Then last but not least check the ignition system.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well im not getting into putting money into this thing, neither is she. all this will be stated in the auction that the car HAS been sitting for over 5 years. teh fuel pump is not bad because it buzzes to holy ****. i dunno maybe it IS fuel pump. but i dont want to mess with it... its old, and i dont wanna get into it. if i cant get it started i'll just let the buyer know.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
EBAY! you really do get top dollar on ebay. that might be kindave a nitch car so ebay is the best way to reach out to that type of customer base. I sold a snowmobile on ebay once for way more that i thought i'd get for it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Use Caution! I am not sure I would continue to try to start the thing without going through all the systems thoroughly. If it has truly not run in 5 years, there are problems lurking.

This is a very expensive motor to have to tear down and rebuild. I think I would make sure it spins freely (disconnect plugs or coil and turn the starter), then post it on eBay honestly. You can easily do a search on some of the collector car sales sites for approximate market value for the car.

My concern is that to be able to state in the ad that "it runs", one could cause some damage to the rings and valves and bearings just running it for 5 minutes.

"an older gal"? What, so she's 30? You young whippersnappers kill me!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.