ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well okay...I just *kept up* with one - an N/A. I was wondering how though....?

z32 N/A -> about 222 HP
z31 N/A w/K&N filter -> about 163 (on a good day)

I was really surprised albiet excited. We made two runs and in the first run he was gaining some when I was in 2nd gear but I was on his bumper once I was halfway through 3rd. In the second run I kept up with him without losing any ground. We hit 70 mph each time before backing down.

I just didn't understand - is the z32 a heavier car or was this guy just a bad driver? Manual transmission vs. automatic?

I apologize in advance if this is a waste of a post - flame if you must but I am trying to get a feel for the z32 N/A's because before today I pictured them in a different light. Thanks for any opinions.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I would say, either he's in an AT or he probably sucked at coordinating the clutch and shifter, some people are just cursed that way. I'm happy to say I'm not one of them.

You should have asked him at a light what was under the hood :p

Edit : He might have had a worn/slipping clutch or shot TOB. I would imagine that would hurt your sprints.

Post Edited (Jul 28, 5:06pm)

·
Registered
297 Posts
you know what would have been really funny...

if someone from here hopped on the Z32 forums and there was a post with subject:

"So a Z31 kept up with me today (?)"

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
He sucked at driving or was toying with you. A Z32 runs abour a 15.1 in the 1/4 mile while the Z31 runs about a 16.4 in the 1/4 mile. Thats at least a 3 car length distance if not more. As for a difference in weight there really isn't much. An 85 non turbo with t-tops comes in at about 3150-3250 while the Z32 n/a comes in at about 3200lbs. So chance are his car did weight more but it was probably less than 100lbs difference. Basicly he should have destroyed you. He could have been a bad driver, car could have need some mechanical attention hindering performance, he could have been just toying with you, or a combination of these. The Z31 n/a is just not a fast car; even with basic bolt ons you won't be able to hang with a Z32 n/a stock. So what does this race mean? Nothing. You had some fun stretching your cars legs and against another Z too which doubles the pleasure. There is a reason street races don't hold much credit in who can beat who, the fact is there are too many variables to consider. You really want to test your car take it to the track and see if you can find a Z32 n/a to meat you there. Racing other Z's is the best. For me I've only incountered 1 Z32 n/a and luckily I was in my 280z because otherwise I would have lost.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
^agree. That NA should have pulled away, usually the NA Z32s run with the Z31Turbos. STOCK VS. STOCK that is

Post Edited (Jul 28, 10:56pm)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Z31 TWIN TURBO's are the only Z that runs with modified Z31 turbo's.

Z32 NA modified Vs. my Z with only exhaust and intake on 8psi. I won

My Z running 10psi intercooled with intake and exhaust (performance clutch and other small mods) Vs. a Z32TT with exhaust. I won.

My Z when it was at it's peak performance Vs. a Z32 TT with unknown mods at the track. I won

350Z with exhaust and intake vs. my Z at peak performance. I won.

G35 coupe stock Vs. my Z at peak performance. I won.

Get a turbo Z and throw on exhaust, intake, a intercooler, and boost controller, and you will smoke cars you never thought you could.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for your opinions! That gives me a better perspective where each Z stands. I definitely thought it was strange at the time but I sure was having a blast :). The driver, guy in his mid 20's, gave me quite the look when he had to make his turn after that second run.

Regarding the weight issue 280z/300zx mentioned - my 85 was the baseline model. No power seats, no digital dash, no adjustable suspension, cloth seats, nothing. I had it on a scale once and it read just over 3,000 pounds. Wasn't sure if that made any difference.

blakeZX - I thought your post about a guy in the z32 forum posting was hilarious!

I am very much looking forward to the day when I find myself in a turbo z31. Once the wife is through college that will be one of my first ventures.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
The scale could have been off. My 84 is about as light as they come in stock form being it's a GL slick top- 3090lbs. I'm assuming yours has t-tops since you didn't mention a slickt top, which t-tops add about 50lbs over the slick top or more. As you said the GL will be light than the GLL becuase of the lack of power seats, heated mirrors, etc but chances are you are in the 3150lbs range. Check your door jam for the GVWR to see what the max load of the car is, then look in your consol. Under the lid of the consol is a sticker with some other facts about the car like tire pressure. Also on this sticker is the max weight you can hold as passengers and/or luggage, it should be something like 400-500lbs (mine was 450). Once you find this number subtract the total weight from the GVWR and that gives you your curb weight of the car with max fluids. Of course scale weight may be different but most of the time when people weight their car it doesn't have a full tank of gas and max fluids. Check it out and let me know what the end result is, I'm kind of curious to see.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll check it out tonight and do the math to get that number. I do have T-Tops as well. I never have seen a slick-top in person, although I have seen pictures. It's a good thing I'm doing this now because I'm about to replace that center console with one that is in much better shape but not from my Z!

·
Registered
782 Posts
ive seen na z32's with exhaust and headers running 15.10's but not stock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.