ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, looks like Im going to keep my 240 and do a rebuild on her- but I'm deciding on the intake portion of it- megasquirt EFI, or weber sidedrafts?

I have weber sidedrafts on my bmw- and love them, at the same time hate them. They always run rich, i'm tired of pouring money into them, and parts are becoming more $$ now that their italy plant is down under (rumor?) But they perform really well, somewhat tuneable, sound really cool....I could go on....

But then theres the megasquirt- a lot more high tech, tuneable, my buddy works at TWM and can get my that SU replacement setup for cheap, but how robust is that system? What exact components do I need on the rebuild (cam, fuel injectors, etc..) This would be my first attempt at this- and don't know what Id need, and what it would take-

Is it going to be the same $$ either way? Which will give me the bang for the buck? I'm new to EFI aftermarket setups, but can see the benefit of it- but have worked with carbs, and they aren't quite "set it and forget it". I want something where I can set it and forget it, but at the same time have some fun doing some spirited driving that is rock solid in stability and reliability

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Ive been told countless time to consider Webers. However, now that Ive repaired and replaced most of the EFI system, and I understand how it works...Im not so sure EFI isnt perfectly suited for the Z. Just a thought ...

Elaine and Zel~

Stock Rocks

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
You can tell us how the TWM SU replacements work on a Zcar intake. I haven't heard of anyone using those on a Zcar manifold yet. They might work great, then again they could have mixture distribution issues? I don't see why anyone would want to use throttle body fuel injection instead of multipoint. Yes the stock EFI intake is lame, but this could be worse! Stand alone EFI rocks but is EXPENCIVE to do right.

Why not just use the SU's and build a 2.8L?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will ask my buddy on the TWM system and how it works once I get a hold of him again (we saw each other today at a birthday party, and he was kinda tossed...hopefully he'll sober up and email me haha). I'll let everyone now hey they work.

I haven't had much luck with these SU's and Im looking for something different- its like voodoo magic with these things. I rebuilt them, but they are still running rich even after tuning that knurled bottom part, testing for leaks, etc...just can't get it right.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Not being too insulting I hope, but if you can't make the simple SU's work, I doubt you'll have any better luck with stand alone EFI or side draft webers.. They are =much= more complex to deal with. SU's are about as simple as it gets.

·
Registered
759 Posts
there really is nothing to the SU. And you can rebuild just about everything on both of them for under 200 bucks....

have you checked your floats and levels? (i just found out that, this was my problem)

i would stick with the SU and just make them work.

·
Super Moderator
41,005 Posts
Multipoint...

because some heads are not cut for the stock intake manifold injection scheme.
making a custom manifold is beyond the realm of many people
a low-pressure TBI based system is a direct bolt-on for any earlier Z without converting any of the fuel hoses

but then Gary at TWM thought of it that way...

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
And how is this TB setup any better than a pair of SU's? And it looks like Gary may have had second thoughts since they dropped development of this setup for Z's?

If someone can't get a pair of simple SU's to work right, I doubt they are going to be able to setup a much more complex stand alone MS system that will.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did the triple webers and I am pretty happy. I live near Pierce Manifolds in Gilroy, CA; They have everything you need, and plenty of free advice.

I have a friend with an RX-7... He put a BMW 6 in there (bigger air box, 7 series injection), and I'm still quicker with my "old school" carbs.

It took some time (& $$ for jets) to make my setup driveable, and I never get better than 19 mpg.... I give them a re-balance every 6 months or so.. but they definately look the part.

Not cheap ($1600 with the manifold, and more $$ every time I re-jet after a mod)

·
Registered
354 Posts
get some good SU's and a n36 manifold.

i run door to door with a webber car as it is right now {3 liter rebello motor vs my 3.1, stock headed car}

if you're not going for insane hp. you don't need the megasquirt system, nor webers.

just my opinion

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.