ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is nuts....Im in the middle of the AC aggrevation project when now all of a sudden everyonce and a while I got smoke coming out the pipes like Im destroyer laying down a smoke screen.

84300zx turbo.... It does it sometimes when I start it then stops ..

I run it everything is fine she purrs at idle runs great then I stop at a light and its Sonnys BBQ Smoke house behind me....take off and it disapates..

at first thought it might be a valve seal leak, or turbo gasket leak,,,my son thinks its fuel related he says it may be a injector dumping fuel ...

So it does it sometimes and then it doesnt do it at all...I think I got gremlins any ideas
thanks
bob

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Usually you'll know if its oil cause it smells horrible and is white/blue in color.
If you're burning water/coolant you may have a blown head gasket. Your car hasn't overheated recently has it?
Its not cold is it where you are? Cause if so it may just be condensation inside your exhaust pipe coming out as steam when hot exhaust gas turns it to vapor.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Black smoke = fuel
White Smoke= oil

Bad rings would make the car smoke continuously, as does bad turbo, Bad valve seals would make car smoke when first started, then disapear. depending on how bad the valve seals are, it could also make the car smoke at low idle. run a compression check when car is cold, if it has low compresion when cold and good compression when warm, chances are you need vave seals. if it has low compression all the time, you need rings. if the car sat for any long periods of time, chances are the valve seals are bad. if the car has more than 150,xxx miles, and continuous low compression, chances are the rings need to be replaced. some people may disagree, but in my vast experience, these diagnostics are accurate. as phxz31 stated, a bad head gasket would make the car smoke terrible, all the time, and it would reak of antifreeze,if its bolwn on compression side of gasket. if head gasket is blown elsewhere, your oil would be milky white. and it is possible to leak on both side of head.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all...ok

I would say its a blue/white smoke.....only sometimes...sometimes when you start her,,,,other times after she ran a bit and she is sitting at a light.

Not running hot.car never has had a overheating problem 147000 on her and Im the second owner 1St owner bought for his wife in 84..

Where in florida and its been hot hot hot......

If you look at the tail pipe and run your finger thru its pretty normal looking for a turbo...with the black soot stuff .

We did do a compression check and everything showed up normal.

Smell I would say more fuely than oily...
Maybe I should just shoot it and put both of us out of our misery..LOL
thanks guys.....still looking for that guy Ft Walton beach FL....he got parts the dealership just called no Tank Vac Ascd to be had from them..
back to square one on that one. thanks again Bob

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
if it puffs some smoke right when its taking off and then it subsides, and its blue/whitish in color, you are definitely burning oil. it can be piston rings but it can also be worn valve guides, so passing compression doesn't mean your not burning oil. check oil level on a regular basis, and if its going down do an oil change and try a slightly heavier oil (try 10W/40 if you're using 10W/30)
if burning oil is your problem, heavier oil may help the problem temporarily but that doesn't mean it won't come back quick and that you shouldn't get it fixed soon..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks again phxZ31

All I use is Royal Purple 10/40 and usually 20/50 racing oil levels look good

one idea that was thrown around was a leak at the turbo gasket, and that would explain that after it warms up it seems to subside, then let it cool down and u start it and it puffs some until she is warmed up again.

strange little quirk....problem is that we have a real shortage of really knowledgeable turbo guys down here....So if I take her to a shop..I really better have a handle on what it is...or they will go on a fishing trip inside the engine bay and I will end up with a really big fish story and bill...

if I can do it myself I will as I have a pretty good shop in my garage,,,but some of these jobs do require lifts or some special tools..thanks again
anyone else with ideas throw them out and we will run them around
navbob 84 Zturbo slightly mod....mostly restored, always lookin good with an emron factory red

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
thats an odd situation, and i'm kinda stumped as to what it might be. but honestly i'd get it checked out, sounds like it could potentially be a serious problem. that turbo gasket shouldn't be too hard to replace, although i don't have a turbo so i'm not really sure.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Navbob, I'd side with jerky on this. It sure sounds like valve seals and possibly guides. Has the car sat unstarted for any long period of time? Do you know how many miles are on the engine?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea there are 146377 is the exact and correct milage on the car...both valve guides and seals have been discussed,,,,as well as my son said I should check the Ox sensor...I think that is the easiest to start with rather than pulling parts and pieces off the engine....

no the car has not set....I try to drive it everyday both for short trips and mid distant runs even going up I 95 like a bat out of ****....she runs like a rocket....

It seems more like when your sitting at a light she will all of a sudden start the smoking, it will trail for a bit when you first take off then seems to stop.

Realize of course I have limited view of how much she is still smoking going even 45mph....from my seat...lol....but when I stop at the next light 9 times out of 10 she is not smoking unless I have to sit there for a few...
??????????????? my head hurts thinking about this gremlin....thanks for the responses
bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.