ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know how I did this but it was fun seeing a peewee mustang eat my dust but I beat him.
in a 280zx turbo 2x2 he my had a automatic or he did not know how to shift. but boy seeing that mustang in my rear view mirror was so cool I think it a early 90s mustang. boy when we got to the next stop he did not look happy. And I think this z has the motor it came with and all it power no mods for it. just one killer driver. bummer I had to turn turn I wanted to do it again.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
GREAT JOB...

WOW! i love those stop light confortations...i have an 83 280zx n/t and i love smoking those little hondas and acuras with all those stickers and bigg o exhausts! the only american car i raced so far was an old el camino...it sounded **** loud! he was doing burn outs at eveery light...finally i got to line up right next to him on a red light ...i looked at him and reved back at him...the light turned green and i took off! he couldn't catch up until there was a car in my lane and i had to slow down...as soon as the next stoplight came he made a right...i don't know but i guess im just a better driver!
kvn

·
Registered
403 Posts
Re: GREAT JOB...

> WOW! i love those stop light
> confortations...i have an 83 280zx n/t and i
> love smoking those little hondas and acuras
> with all those stickers and bigg o exhausts!
> the only american car i raced so far was an
> old el camino...it sounded **** loud! he was
> doing burn outs at eveery light...finally i
> got to line up right next to him on a red
> light ...i looked at him and reved back at
> him...the light turned green and i took off!
> he couldn't catch up until there was a car
> in my lane and i had to slow down...as soon
> as the next stoplight came he made a
> right...i don't know but i guess im just a
> better driver!
> kvn
Just wish I could spank my wife's 96GT with my 72 240 =( But on the brighter side the mustang does handle like sh|t even with17 inch rims vs my Z with 14's so go figure.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Smokem!!!!

I,ve smoked a mustang GT, turbo RX7, and camaro with my 72 240Z. Two weeks ago I smoked one of those kitty land, loud mouth, low riding, and funky colored hondas with my 73 240Z. I tell you, the kid driving the honda could not control the car because it was hopping all over the road and he was pissed. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
If I could get the courage, I might put the 72 against a nonturbo corvette.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Smokem!!!!

> I,ve smoked a mustang GT, turbo RX7, and
> camaro with my 72 240Z. Two weeks ago I
> smoked one of those kitty land, loud mouth,
> low riding, and funky colored hondas with my
> 73 240Z. I tell you, the kid driving the
> honda could not control the car because it
> was hopping all over the road and he was
> pissed. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
> If I could get the courage, I might put the
> 72 against a nonturbo corvette.

I would like to try a corvette and see how I do.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

> I would like to try a corvette and see how I
> do.
Don't press your luck I've beat mustangs 5.0 and 4.6 no problem. But very few camaros most where in the mid 80. The new ones no way and a corvette or grand national **** no

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

> Don't press your luck I've beat mustangs 5.0
> and 4.6 no problem. But very few camaros
> most where in the mid 80. The new ones no
> way and a corvette or grand national **** no

I would love to see a N/A Z beat a Corvette
I love my Z but I don't think it would come close to beating one of them some of the older ones have 454 engines in them the new ones come with the LS1 egine 5.7L and they are fast as ****
Maybe A 25 PSI Turbo Z might take it but,,,

·
Registered
134 Posts

I regularly beat a newer corvette with the LS1 engine with my '74 260 Z. Don't laugh -here's how in one word- Autocross. All the times are multiplied by figure (called PAX) that equilizes the performance potential of all cars. 'Vettes have the worst multplier while Z's are on the other end slighly ahead of MGB's and such. Keep in mind these are un- modified cars as per the rules. Straight times- leave the 'Vettes and Jags alone.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have smoked new Vettes ,911's,BMW Z3 M cars,NSX

Gentlemen you do sell N/A 240's way too short!!!LITE MAKES MIGHT!!Take a 280 block with ameteur port and polish shaved head 9.8:1 compression,Electronic ignition,Dual SUs modified slightly for airflow,5 speed trans,3.9 rear end and you can beat these cars!!!IT sounds like B.S. this I know ,but none the less it is true!!I have dragraced my Z for years in N.C. After breaking my crank with this combo(One too many speedshifts)I reinstalled the 240 block with all other aforementioned items and although it no longer slays vettes ,it can still stomp new 99 camaro z28 SS!!And this is done with street tires and NO speed shifting!!DONT SELL LITTLE Z's too short!!!
>Later,norm

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
What kind of 1/4's are you running?

Was wondering if you have ever been to the strip, and if so what kind of 1/4's (or 1/8's) you are turning.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Re: I have smoked new Vettes ,911's,BMW Z3 M cars,

> Gentlemen you do sell N/A 240's way too
> short!!!LITE MAKES MIGHT!!Take a 280 block
> with ameteur port and polish shaved head
> 9.8:1 compression,Electronic ignition,Dual
> SUs modified slightly for airflow,5 speed
> trans,3.9 rear end and you can beat these
> cars!!!IT sounds like B.S. this I know ,but
> none the less it is true!!I have dragraced
> my Z for years in N.C. After breaking my
> crank with this combo(One too many
> speedshifts)I reinstalled the 240 block with
> all other aforementioned items and although
> it no longer slays vettes ,it can still
> stomp new 99 camaro z28 SS!!And this is done
> with street tires and NO speed
> shifting!!DONT SELL LITTLE Z's too
> short!!!
Yep and you're not the first person I've heard of doing this either. Drop a 4.11 in there and you can surprise the **** out of alot of owners of other cars. If you're not willing to do that, a turbo setup will yield the same results for a higher pricetag.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Track times

My best 1/4 mile time was [email protected] 101MPH.This was done at Rockingham dragway last year on normal street tires and an open header. The opposing 98 Vette ran a couple times and best run was only 13.7. I know the magazines have documented vettes running much quicker ,but everyone and everycar wil not perform the same.With exhaust system hooked up my Z ran about 13.6.My best 1/8 mile time was done at Farmington dragway in Sept 98.I ran an 8.55 @ 81.7 MPH on nitto street drag tires and with complete exhaust system hooked up.Since breaking the crank in that block,I have since reinstalled my original 240 block with all other performance items attached.This combo has run a best of 8.88 @ 79MPH with nitto street drag tires and full exhaust at Shadyside dragway outside of Shelby,N.C. >Times for other stock cars run at Farmington dragway: >98 6 speed Vette 8.88 This car should really be capable of low 8.7s >93-97 Camaro Z28's and Trans Ams 9.15-9.35 this numberbased on approx. 20 different cars >98 Camaro Z28s and Trans Ams 9.10-9.25 > 98 Camaro SS 8.97-9.1 > 93 Acura NSX 8.87-9.35 this car with its variable valve timing was very inconsistent > 99 Porche 911 9.02-9.17 I think this car was limited mainly by its Driver. > 98 BMW Z3 3.2 M 8.85-8.87 > Mustangs are so modified that its difficult to find any stock ones at the track but the newer non nitrous ones generally run 9.5-9.9.Older stangs running just bolt ons with no nitrous or suoercharger run 8.8-9.65's >Modified street Mustangs with superchargers and nitrous and stoker kits run anywhere from low 6.0- 8.7 These cars are the enemies of our beloved Z's >STOCK 240 Z with headers, K+N air filters,262-272 Crane Cam 3.9 rear 9.45 @ 73.5 This was a time I posted in may of 95. Later ,norm

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: Don't under estimate.

Don't under estimate the power of the all mighty Z. The Z is a little sports car a with a big punch. You'll be surprised with the performance and power a stock or modified Z can produce.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Lets run 'em Norm.

> Gentlemen you do sell N/A 240's way too
> short!!!LITE MAKES MIGHT!!Take a 280 block
> with ameteur port and polish shaved head
> 9.8:1 compression,Electronic ignition,Dual
> SUs modified slightly for airflow,5 speed
> trans,3.9 rear end and you can beat these
> cars!!!IT sounds like B.S. this I know ,but
> none the less it is true!!I have dragraced
> my Z for years in N.C. After breaking my
> crank with this combo(One too many
> speedshifts)I reinstalled the 240 block with
> all other aforementioned items and although
> it no longer slays vettes ,it can still
> stomp new 99 camaro z28 SS!!And this is done
> with street tires and NO speed
> shifting!!DONT SELL LITTLE Z's too
> short!!!

Where are you from Norm. If your from ANYWHERE near my area, I'd like to run ya. Street preferably. I run low 13's, and I waste Camaro's and T/A's, and Porsches, but I had a black NSX walk all over my sorry ass, and I lost 100 bucks!

BTW I loved the e-mail about the Darwin awards. My side hurt like **** from laughing!

Chris Behney
Redline Autosports

·
Registered
625 Posts
Sounds like Fun---BUT!!

I live in N.C. I can't race you now because you would waste ME!!! If you remember pictures i sent ya,you know I toasted the crank and am temporarily runnin' my 240 block.It is only good for 13.8 1/4 miles.If I get my junkyard dog 2.9L running good though, I would enjoy a match against your built 3.1 L!! Later,norm

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: Lets run 'em Norm.

> Where are you from Norm. If your from
> ANYWHERE near my area, I'd like to run ya.
> Street preferably. I run low 13's, and I
> waste Camaro's and T/A's, and Porsches, but
> I had a black NSX walk all over my sorry
> ass, and I lost 100 bucks!

> BTW I loved the e-mail about the Darwin
> awards. My side hurt like **** from
> laughing!

> Chris Behney
> Redline Autosports

You guys seem pretty hip on z cars, I have a question about brakes if you don't mind.
I heard somewhere that twin caliper brakes can be bolted on to the front of my '76 280z without much trouble. I can't remember if they were supposed to come from a Pathfinder or some Toyota. I know the splash guard will have to be cut down to allow more room, but the whole caliper is supposed to bolt right on. Do I have to replace the rotor? The cylinder binds, and since I should probaly replace the whole caliper I was thinking I could do an upgrade at the same time I don't know if this will adversely affect the way the car handles under braking, being that it may no longer be balanced with the rear drums. Can I or should I change just the front, all four, or replace it with a stock caliper to maintain good balance?

Jeff,

Maui, HI

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: Sounds like Fun---BUT!!

> I live in N.C. I can't race you now because
> you would waste ME!!! If you remember
> pictures i sent ya,you know I toasted the
> crank and am temporarily runnin' my 240
> block.It is only good for 13.8 1/4 miles.If
> I get my junkyard dog 2.9L running good
> though, I would enjoy a match against your
> built 3.1 L!! Later,norm
HEY! GUYS,
LETS NOT FIGHT OVER WHO'S CAR IS FASTER!, THE MAIN POINT IS WE LOVE!!!!!! OUR Z'S AND THAT THE CARS WE DRIVE CAN STILL WALK ALL OVER THESE SO CALLED SPORTS CAR!
I KNOW WHAT A Z CAR CAN DO , I HAVE HAD TWO IN MY LIFE .
MY 72 240Z PRODUCED 225HP FROM A 2.4L IN-LINE 6, AND CAN DO 0TO 60 IN LESS THEN 4.0 SECONDS. I LIVE IN A CITY THAT EVERY BUDDY DRIVES AND RACES MUSTANGS, SO IT IS SO FUNNY TO SEE THERE FACES WHEN I WOULD BLOW THEM AWAY!
MY OTHER Z IS A 82ZX N/T AND HAS A TOP SPEED OF A 148MPH (GIVE OR TAKE A FEW MILES AN HOUR!),BUT CAN OUT PREFORM ALOT OF NEW SO CALLED SPORTS CARS IN HANDLING!
IF WERE GOING TO FIGHT OVER SOMETHING LETS FIGHT OVER HOW EASY IT WAS TO BET A MUSTANG, CAMARO,OR TRANS AM . JUST LOVE Z's!!!!

MD MIZE

·
Registered
625 Posts
Re: Lets run 'em Norm.

Jeff I believe you can use front calipers from the older toyota fourrunner or 4wd trucks. And to the other post ,me and chris ain't fightin' i don't know what made you think that?Chris has a nice runnin' 3.1L and it would be fun to race if that junkyard dog of mine ends up barkin' and not yelpin'.LOL later,norm P.S. I'm not trying to act like my car is fast , because too many people on this bulletin have cars that would run off and leave mine.Iam just trying to prove that an average mechanic with $1000-$1500 can build a 240 that will outrun almost all factory cars,except exotics!! Later,norm

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Awesome times!

Those are impressive times. Wish I could have seen the look on the corvette guy's face. I will be happy if my car can run mid 8's (1/8) by the time I can take it to the track. That would be plenty fast enough to beat the V8 competition at work.
Dave

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Brake??

I don't know anything about brakes but try this page for the answers you seek.
<A HREF=http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/9364>http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/9364</A>/
hope it helps

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.