ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a early model 260z and I want to remove the anti-smog from it. The anti smog never allowed the car to run well and never will. Those that have done this could you please give me some detailed advice and the small things to look out for. Also is their any books that detail this at all.
Thanks people
Garnett

· Registered
2,156 Posts
a smog pump, pcv valve and egr valve do nothing to performance

· Registered
426 Posts
I disagree, except regarding the PCV. By smog pump, I assume you mean the air pump that is powered by one of the V-belts. Anything operated by the engine, A/C compressor, alternator, power steering pump, etc., takes power from the engine. Nothing is free. It might be minor, but it's there. As for the EGR, it introduces exhaust gas into the intake and dilutes the mixture. It's hard to see how that wouldn't affect performance.

As I understand it, the EGR lowers combustion temperatures and reduces detonation. If you remove it, you might have to re-curve the timing.

Dave

· Registered
426 Posts
Sorry, but you're wrong. From the FSM..."some of the exhaust gas is returned to the combustion chamber to lower the spark flame temperature during combustion. This results in a reduction of the nitrogen oxide content in the exhaust."

Dave

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
In the USA, it's ILLEGAL...

Removal of any anti-pollution equipment for a road going vehicle is ILLEGAL in EVERY state. It is a violation of FEDERAL clean-air laws to do so. There is no argument with this statement, it is a FACT. Don't even try the "my state has no smog check, so I can take anything I want off!" That is not even close to being correct. Any tampering with these items is a federal crime, and will only marginally "improve" your performance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.