ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a "71 240 that still has the smog pump attached and working. Most of the hoses are good to fair condition so I believe it is still functioning properly.

BUT it is no longer needed in Calif. for me to pass smog and I would like to remove it and all of the hoses. What do I do with the inlets throughout the engine compartment where these hoses are attached? Do I just plug them ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's not just no longer needed to pass smog; you don't need to get the car smogged at all (unless the laws change).

If you remove the smog pump, you need to plug both the air injectors into the exhaust manifold AND into the intake manifold. I've seen one car with a large plug over the exhaust manifold air injection rail, and that may work OK, but it'd be better to get a header without the air injection ports. It is not likely that you'd be able to remove the air injection rail from the exhaust manifold without breaking it and making it worse.

You need to find the proper plugs for the intake manifold; look in your hardware store's brass pipe fittings to find one that's close (it'll be an interference fit, that's what I have in my other car).

Oh, removing the smog pump isn't going to improve performance worth speaking of (maybe 1-2hp) but the header might do some good.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.