ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recieved the notice that im up for smog test in southern california. Its a 77 with a bored out L28. Its bored 90 over and is running cams and the works. I am running 2 1/2 inch pipe with headers and a dynomax muffler. I have no cat and my emissions system is not hooked up. Do you think i will be able to pass smog by just putting a cat. on ? Or will i have to get custom tubes to line up with the headers.?

·
Registered
602 Posts
You will never pass a 'visual' in CA with a header. I say never,: does you header have a CARB # on it? If it does I know half a dozen people who will pay GOOD money for it. If the header is 49 state legal (has a port) you MIGHT find a blind smog shop operator that might squeak you by on ignorance alone. If you are up for the (every other [every 4 years]) "Smog Test Only" test, You are screwed. The boring out and everything is OK as long as it is running clean. The cam might cause a problem if the car does not idle or if it runs rich. And you will need a cat.

steve 77

·
Registered
602 Posts
Or get a cat put on and then get a stock manifold and a piece of exhaust flex and take the header off every two years, Just leave the cat on--it won't affect your performance anyway.

steve 77

·
Registered
171 Posts
bribe...HAHAHA

good luck on the bribe angle....i was trying to pass my 83zxt with some slight mods forever...i failed 4 visual inspections, 5 actual smog tests, and then finally i found a "friend of a friend" who put on a new cat and tuned the emissions systems to pass...i was soo relieved...6 months of having no reg on my Z...so my point is, try a brand new cat first, and find a shop that is willing to "sniff" yer exhaust a couple times till it passes and they can do the real test....laterZ

·
Registered
163 Posts
Read this!!

Yep, **** is about right. Search my user name and you can follow my smog exploits over the last month or more. My reg. expired 10/10...I've played with and tuned the car for over a month. Took it back for a pre-test yesterday...still failed. The smog mech was confounded too...vacuum was good, timing was good, and he didn't hear the obvious missing I had the first time. Which brings me to my point. Get the car Pre-tested before you have the actual test. If it fails the actual test, you are locked out of the general system and then must waste more time and money going to a referee, of which there may only be a few in your area (and very far away). Plus, you can get a one month extension on your reg. if you take your failed pre-test report to the DMV. Good luck.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
register it in a non smog county

there are certain counties in california that only require smog tests
when a car is sold. maybe get a po box there or friends, relatives
to register it. Also, insurance is cheaper for rural areas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.