ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, is there any performance boost by removing smog equipment on my 73 240z. Generally, I want to have any possible performance boost and make the car start and run smoother.
If this does make it run smoother and perform better what all do I pull of. I'm sure some of it doesn't work anyways. Then when i pull it off, how do i plug up the holes.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Matt, Generally, on the later EFI cars removing smog equipment nets nothing in HP or Torque and driveability suffers. Anyone who tells you different hasn't actually tested the change.
I don't know what smog equipment comes on the earlier cars. Tell me what you have and I will help you speculate on the result. If you only have an air pump then you could go with headers and just remove it I would think. As far as things like the PCV valve, it is an often mistaken impression that this means "pollution control valve" when it actually means Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve. All this does is reintroduce blowby to the intake charge. Now you could remove it if you have one but you must find a way to seal the system so it doesn't create a vacuum leak. If I can risk a weak "funny" vacuum leaks suck! Your car will not run well with bad vacuum. To test this just remove your oil filler cap while the car is running. If it keeps running the same you already have a vacuum leak that the car is compensating for. If it stops running. You have good vacuum and you have demonstrated the result of poor vacuum. Good luck and let me know what you have for smog equipment.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the smog equipment: is an air pump with a non-return valve, a anti backfire valve(which doesn't seem to work very well) and all the egr equipment, the rest is probably important like the throttle opener thing and spark timing control system.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I am sure that you can simply go to a header to get rid of the air pump. I don't know what most of the rest of that older stuff is or how it works. As far as spark timing I would go to an electronic ignition from an EFI 280Z. The method is outlined on the Internet 240Z Club site written by Kyle Haggeman of ZONC. A much more accurate way to control spark.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.