ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1981 280zx runs great, but it seems to be a little short on power. Any type of long hill really takes the power out of it. I was wondering if most non-turbo zx's are this sluggish. It has about 170,000 mile on it, which could be most of the problem. Also, does anyone know of any cheap performance hop ups for non-turbo 280zx's that might help?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have the turbo model, but I noticed a gain in power in my car when I replaced the Oxygen sensor (or called the Exhaust Gas Sensor).

Check the other parts that need replacing frequently: air filter, fuel filter, and PCV valve. Have you had a major tune up recently (replace spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor). I think the O2 made a difference in it seemed more upbeat leaving a stopped position until the turbo kicked in.

> My 1981 280zx runs great, but it seems to be
> a little short on power. Any type of long
> hill really takes the power out of it. I was
> wondering if most non-turbo zx's are this
> sluggish. It has about 170,000 mile on it,
> which could be most of the problem. Also,
> does anyone know of any cheap performance
> hop ups for non-turbo 280zx's that might
> help?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The oxygen sensor is a crucial part of how your engine performs and must be replaced at 30K mile intervals to perform correctly. At the mileage that you're at though, have you checked to see whether you catalytic converter isn't plugged? By this time most, if not all Z's that had them need to have them replaced along with a fresh oxy sensor. My company sells direct fit cinverters for those cars for about $100 and an oxy sensor for $30. Replace these two items and I bet that your problem will go away. This is a dirty job but if you do it you will save tons of money. Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.