ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daily driver crapped out on me earlier this week so my Z has become the interm daily driver.

I've had this problem for a while now but was putting off getting it taken care of. With daily use it is becoming a bigger problem.

Bare with me - this is a subject I don't know a lot about but:

My clutch is slipping (I'm assuming due to a worn clutch and/or pressure plate?). It is getting to the point that any moderate to hard acceleration causes major slippage. It sux.

My question is: What is the easiest and cheaped way to go about correcting this problem. Should I go the route of a whole new clutch and if so - is the clutch on our z31's difficult to replace?

With my wifes nursing school eating up all funds - I would definitely prefer to do the work myself. Might even throw in a dual-force II while I'm at it if I'm saving money.

Thanks in advance for any advice :).

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Yup a slipping clutch is an indication of a bad clutch. Hopefully you can just resurface the flywheel rather than buy a whole new one to save you some money.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll check into bleeding the slave cylinder - I haven't serviced the transmission in any way shape or form since I purchased the car.

The Chilton Manual describes removal of the transmission part of which includes removing the console in the cab (which makes sense because that is where the top of the tranny is).

I am just trying to get a feel for how much work is involved in replacing the clutch with a new clutch. I'm assuming you do have to follow the tranny removal steps which does seem like a lot but that is what I am trying to get a mental grasp on. I'm new to trannys :(.

·
Registered
657 Posts
its actually really easy........... my z was the second clutch i ever did......... it took me like 3 hours..... get yourself a tranny jack.... this will make it alot easier........just make sure you dont over tighten the pressure plate bolts ....... i found out they snap off really easy... .. I found a stock clutch for $139 at BAP ( dont know if they have one where you are though)
good luck

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
i have both. and yes haynes is better. I keep both just in case, ya know.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Clutchmasters have an OEM replacement for $179. I abused one about 4 yrs ago, and it held up to my engine (Mine is well over stock power levels). Good buy if yours is stock, should get an easy 70k out of it. Plus the clutchmasters OEM replacements are about 20% stronger than stock.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! I will check them out, currently doing research in preperation for the job. I just posted a fresh post regarding the pressure plate. I'm nervous about doing the work because I've never attempted something so involved.

Gotta learn somehow!

·
Registered
104 Posts
i replaced my clutch when i was 16 with a bunch of friends that knew nothing about working on cars, the hardest part is reaching the top bolts and not killing yourself putting the tranny back in or down. get sturdy jacks and help for that, get alot of extensions and a swivel

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.