ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had all hoses, injector seals, timing belt and other perishables replaced; and the car is performing brilliantly however when the car comes to a complete stop and you then hit the gas hard there's a slight pinking/knock from the engine. It only does it once on the initial acceleration from a standstill then it's fine; all timing checks have been done and that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Has anyone else experienced this? And if so what was done to correct it? Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not a lifter sound, it's a much different sound and it only occurs when underload from a standstill. I think it's a timing issue, but I just dont know what to check. The timing was done not so long ago; but I only noticed this problem once all the fuel hoses etc were replaced (they were splitting). The engine itself is running very strong; it's just a small annoyance that I'd like to get fixed up.

·
Registered
782 Posts
If its is an auto could be a cracked flywheel.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it is an auto; what other symptoms can I check to confirm that is what's actually wrong? As the car itself goes great, gears change smoothly etc

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it's an Auto N/A... Any ideas? The car goes hard; it's got a new transmission, air flow meter, alternator, power steering pump all new fuel hoses etc as when I first got the car it went like crap; now with all the above work done it goes fantastic... Real fast off the line, and can bust out 130mph with ease (4000rpms).

It's an annoyance more than anything; it occurs when the car has to come to complete stop and then when I floor the gas there's a tiny knock. It only does this when the car is stationary and the pedal is floored; it wont do it if I take of normally.

Post Edited (Mar 3, 11:03pm)

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will look into the above suggestions thanks; I do know there is an exhaust manifold leak... not sure if that could cause it.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was taken back 3 degrees by the guys at the shop already; which made it a little better but not perfect. If it's taken back any further I'll start to see the performance level drop so this is what makes me think it's something other than the timing. I dont know a great deal about it; all I know is that it didnt do it before I had everything fixed up and now it does. If only I had some idea of what it is then I could go tell them "blah needs fixing" yknow? Bit hard to just say "oh theres some noise, go find it" lol

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey guy, you just said it the timing was retarded 3 degrees and it helped some well retard it until it stops. I had a vehicle from Calif. that did the same thing until I retarded the timing. Ran fine after that.

z4life

·
Registered
782 Posts
Of course the tap would get quieter when retarding the timing.. it lowers the idle, Lets see here he says it does it when he's stalling up the motor putting more pressure on the "flexplate".I was just saying that cause I had a cracked flexplate on an automatic one time and when I put it in gear It would tap but that was on a chevy with a 406 small block a vg30 probably couldnt crack one not enough torqe. You have never heard of cracked flywheel red around the center that makes noise when put underload? I thought you was a mo- can- ik.

Post Edited (Mar 5, 3:52pm)

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From what I was told taking back the timing much further than it is now will effect performance some what. I just took the car for a good run today and it hits top speed and continues to gain speed no problems so the car itself is running nice. Just the matter of the slight knock from hard take off when stationary...

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think that it was originally advanced 5 degrees then taken back 3 so it now being at 2 degrees. I am not 100% certain on this however; just taking a guess...

However to make a liar out of me I did not notice the car doing it today; the only thing I am doing different the past few days is that I've been using a lead replacement when filling up because our fuel here is 95 Octane but dirty (I think it's actually lower than what they say) so I dont know if this could've of made any difference regarding the problem I was having.

I did notice when starting up yesterday morning the lifters didnt quit tapping by themselves so I turned it off and restarted then it was fine; it didnt do it this morning however so might've been nothing.

And finally when starting in the city earlier the engine seemed to start up differently; sort of like an odd starting sound (sounded clunky) but once again turning the car off and back on again and it didn't do it lol

It's obviously a timing issue; but a quirky one because it's inconsistant and just when it seems fine it'll do something odd again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.