ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
check out 1-800-592-8262. K. Watanabe Corp. I was thinking of dropping in a GTR-S motor (RB26DETT) instead of spending the money on putting a hi-po turbo in my car. They wanted $9,500 for the engine, wiring harness, and ECM. For that much, I wanted the rest of the drive train!!

Let us know what they say, I called a while ago.

Later,
LuZZifer
'83 turbo project
'87 turbo

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Skyline motors</b>

Watanabe quoted me $9000 for the engine and trans., as well as the ECM, harness, and intercooler. Still seems a bit high.
sr20det engines (4 cyl Sylvia) are available for about $2600. Might be good for a 510.

·
Premium Member
40,975 Posts
you should ask about RB20 or RB25 motors. They are MUCH more common, the RB20 can be punched out to 2.3, the RB25 I'm not too sure of. Had a buddy with fairlady and an RB20DET, the thing was a blast-really a revving motor!!!

·
Premium Member
40,975 Posts
If you refer to the smaller RB motors I spoke of, Indeed, yes! Just ask for RB20DET or RB25DET and they may be available with twin turbos, just ask Watanabe if they have RB25DETT, or RB20DETT, I don't know if they make the twin turbos or not. Now it's not a turbo, but I hear that the RB series of motors is available in Austrailia in a 3-litre iteration: RB30DE, good luck finding one of those, and if you do, LET ME KNOW!!!

·
Premium Member
40,975 Posts
RE: ? about Skyline motors.

They're engines from Japan-spec cars (Skylines, Bluebirds, etc..)
The motors we're speaking of are the RB-series, which is the next generation of the L-block we all know and love. They're DOHC in-line sixes, with all the goodies, variable valve timing, etc.
Unlike the RB26 everybody lusts for, in many cases RB20 and RB25 block usually sit bolt upright, much like the L-motor, and converting one for use in a Z-car is much easier. As a matter of fact, RB20DET units were available in Z31 Zcars in Japan.(84-88 300ZX's) The RB20DET had the same specific output (HP) as the 3-litre model, but kept inside the Japanese 2-litre class (1998cc). The RB20 conversion was REAL popular for earlier Z-cars in the late 80's and early 90's. On the older, non-vvt engines, it's really easy, mechanically to swap the engines.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

i was going to do this a conversion into a 72 Z. The price quotes are correct. i researched everywhere and everyone. the lowest price i got was $6000. If you were to do it remenber the Rb26dett is in a 4wd car. that means the stock oil pan has a provision for the frnt driveshaft. u probably could use an oilpan off a rb25det and be sucessful. same with the tranny. aftermarket or stock F.I. is called for. the main concern i've found is i have a church friend who works at JUN Auto Mechanic in So. Cal. they are very familiar with nissan engines. he told me to be very wary of most imported hi-perf. engines. he told me lots of them are pretty rough. he says that they have a term for these imported motors and it basically trnslates to junk. true or not ? you got to be the judge. also remember those 1000 h.p. japanese motors have been upgraded with pistons, rods, and sometimes cranks. translated that means big dollars. its not unusual for bigtime rb26dett's to run upwards to $20,000 bucks no kidding, i did the math. in short or should i say long the one post was right, try a rb20 or rb25, there cheaper. the main problem no matter what engine you choose is if it breaks... were talking no warranty, waiting for parts from Japan, shipping charges, customs... all this and i still wanted it, but cooler heads prevailed. i know this sounds like blasephemy, i thought why not just put a twin-turbo new Supra engine. think about it. same basic engine set-up: hi-tec performance, exotic, and best of all no problem finding parts. another plus is since its an 3 litre, over 100 lbs more torque at any rpm then an rb26dett. sounds like win-win. same amount of fabrication and A SIX_SPEED TRANNY!! only main thing besides cost is that the 2jz-gte is a front-sump engine. custom oil pan and pick-up$$$. besides that awesome power can you say 500 hp to the wheels. i'm still debating. maybe i'll stick with building up my turbo l-series. also would love to hear from all you turbo L-series guys on how your cars are set-up? thanks for the ear.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Good to see you've done your research Larrow.

Some of these comments are against earlier posts as well:

You are correct that the RB26DETT is a four wheel drive motor. A sump-swap isn't straight forward as the front diff mounts solidly to a specially modified block in the RB26. Bore and Stroke mods on RB motors are common in Japan; 3-litres is popular.

The RB26DETT is the only twin-turbo version in the RB series. All other capacities had a single-turbo as an option.

If you haven't worked it our yet, the current Nissan motor designations are made up of the block-type, capacity and then the trailing characters (meaning):

D = Double Overhead Cam
E = Electronic Fuel Injection
T = Turbo (TT = Twin Turbo)

Thus a VG20E would be a 2-litre V6 with EFI (non-turbo, SOHC per bank).

The Australian-only 3-litre engine is quite old (first seen in 1986) and was only ever an RB30E or RB30ET - never a DOHC or twin-turbo.

There is no trailing character to indicate variable inlet timing, but this option can be found on many of the modern 2.0L and 2.5L motors (and always on the 2.6L).

The Japanese RB20's can also be quite old and more modern verions have substantially more power. The RB25DET with the silver rocker cover is the pick of the bunch for easy conversions, but the RB26DETT with 4WD can be made to fit in a Z-car!

There is a summary of Japanese import motors at the Australian site:

http://www.sssautomotive.com.au/

(Don't expect to see the promised Z-car modifications appear on the other pages - this site has been dead for months!)

Nissan made all L-series motors lean to one side - away from their inlet manifold. Thus the cross-flow head motors lean to the left fender (exhaust side), while the L16 (4-cyl) leans to the right (unported side). The RB motor is also a cross-flow head and leans to the left like a Z-car.

Converting to an RB motor is much more attractive in Australia as we can buy gaskets, distributor caps, oil filters and such over the counter because brand new RB motored cars were sold here. Make sure you can source such items before buying an exotic import.

To really annoy all the American readers out there, check out the Australian supplier selling RB20DET with 5-speed for AUD$1500 (about US$1000):

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~japeng/

:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.