ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My spare tire is looking pretty bad, so I was looking at getting a used tire to replace it just in case. I noticed it was a different size that what is on the car now, however..

On the car I have 205/60 R14, and the spare currently has a 175R14. Can I put 205's on this rim? If I do, will it still fit in the well? Or, should I just stick with the 175, since I don't plan to do much (hopefully any) driving with it anyway?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
You should be fine using the 175 size tire. As you indicated, I would use it only when necessary. I have actually been thinking of getting a smaller (lighter) temporary spare out of an early 80's Maxima to save a bit of weight. If you take a good look at a car with a temporary spare on you will see that the outside diameter of the spare is much smaller than the standard tires. In your case, your spare is probably very close to the same outside diameter of your after market tires. There is a Miata site that has a good tire size calculator that would let you do an exact comparison.
Dano71z

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.