ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want the Z to make it's spring debut with satellite radio. I already have a Sirius ready Alpine head unit.

This is the cheapest I've found the Alpine tuner. Can anyone find a price that beats this one?

$79.98

Apline Sirius Tuner

Post Edited (Jan 1, 4:10pm)

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Seems like a price that would be hard to beat. I just added Sirius to my Z and I can vouch for the sound and the variety of choices. It's pretty cool. You will enjoy it.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I like sirius more than XM. but as far as cheaper satellite tuners, i dont know where you could find a cheaper one other than ebay possibly. Very easy to route the antenna to come out right behind the t-bar and the hatch!

Post Edited (Jan 1, 5:31pm)

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I have XM (on my desk), and my dad has Sirius in his car, and both are great. Both have enough channels for anyone, and both are about the same price, so don't let that debate get in the way.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
yeah, to each his own. both companies are working towards better programming/better quality all the time. I bleieve both are scheduled to broadcast HDradio here soon. . .

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I heard both and I prefer XM which is what I have in my Z, plus, what is the point of XM/sirius ready receivers??? You can buy a full kit to intall XM/sirius for around $100 plus get free extra sets whcih is what I got or other free stuff so why pay $80 for just the tuner??? doesn't seem to offset to me

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't want a piece of stereo hardware in my Z that does not look like it naturally belongs there. I don't want anything that does not fit perfectly into one of the OEM stereo slots.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
go sirius!!

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
yeah, like Z-Carr said, the XM/sirius ready head units can control all of the functions that the separate units do, but does it within the deck so you don't have wires and crap running all over the place. Better sound for those units that use an FM tranmitter, and no having to mount or keep the separate contoller display somewhere.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
z1, He's already got the head unit installed. . .so why sacrifice the luxury of controlling it via the alpine unit as opposed to mounting a clunky display somewhere. I don't care how you install the separate units, you still have to find a place to put it where its accessible and easily readable, along with having to hardwire the **** thing. Thats more pain than its worth as opposed to just buying the more expensive tuner, tucking behind a body panel, and operating it from the radio controls.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Havn't looked around, but from friends, 80 bucks seems to be the cheapest by word of mouth for a car unit. Im grabbing mine this week, Howards my boy. Howard Nation baby!!!!!!!

·
Registered
13,644 Posts
Nonono, I'm not saying sacrifice an XM-ready head unit in favor of the ugly-ass XM unit (I'd definitely go with the head unit if at all possible), just saying that wires should be a non-issue with the XM unit if you decide to go that route.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
No, it is $100 bucks everyone I know of. I would be a little wary of any place that has no rating or is not linked from a reputable site. Of course, if you have dealt with them before and they sold you another great deal then go for it.

But if you want a sure thing I can have one shipped to your door from Best Buy for $100.

Same as your cost minus shipping.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.