ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently submitted for ideas on how to remove the factory rubber bushings to replace them with poly. Two responses included 1) burning them out with propane torch, and 2) physically beating them out with a socket or pipe. Comments: The torch method can be harmful to your health unless you're wearing a respirator or like to inhale tire smoke. My solution by trial and error was: 1) Use an electric portable jig saw with a fairly aggresive wood blade. 2) Clamp the MB in a vise and insert the blade through one of the four slots in bushing. 3) Spray a little WD-40 or similar lubricant on the blade and bushing. 4) Hold down firmly on the saw and start cutting and work your way out to the ID of the metal insert. Hug the metal to remove as much rubber as possible (saves removing remnant later). Lubricate the blade as necessary to reduce friction. The bushing will push out easliy. 5) Remove any of the remaining rubber with a half round file until you can install your new poly bushings. A sawzall would probably work too, but I did not try it. Good Luck Guys! Dave.

· Read Only
3,883 Posts
Re: Simple method to remove Mustache Bar rubber bu

sounds like a long and tiresome way to do it. torch and bushing removal and install takes about 20 minutes.

· Registered
3,948 Posts

i have heard of some guys leaving the outer metal part of the bushing in the bar when installing the urethane bushings. to act as a sleeve for the new style bushing.i bought some from motorsport and plan to install them when i get time, i will see what looks best when i tear it down. i have a press and figure it would only take a few min to press them out. that's if i dont need the outer part as a sleeve. if this is true about leaving the outer part in the bar, give me a email and let me know.. thanks later... pallnet

· Registered
82 Posts

The sleeve needs to be left in the mustache bar. Burning the old bushing out was no big deal. I set the bar on 5 gallon bucket with a 1 gallon milk jug with the top cut off 1/2 full of water under the bushing. With the torch set the bushing on fire and walk away as the old rubber falls in to the milk jug. OK so you can do both ends at once with 2 milk jugs. Once the fire is out run a wire brush on a drill through the sleeve to clean it up. Paint the ends and assemble new bushings in the bar. Grease the the bushings with boat trailer grease.

Dave...

· Registered
1,153 Posts

Maybe you should have said...

The torch method can be bad for your health if you are stupid enough to stand directly above the burning rubber and inhale the smoke. What smoke isn't bad for your health? And who doesn't avoid it? Wood fires are bad for your health, so don't light that fire in your fireplace. I found your post insulting.

The method you propose scratches the id of the bar, and is more time and labor intensive. Burning them out does not damage the bar, and is pretty easy to do. I would bet that the rest of us are smart enough to take the whole assembly out of doors before burning the rubber out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.