ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the P90 head be used on a Normally aspirated engine? The reason I ask this is because of the square exhaust ports. Do they make a header for square exhaust port heads for NA? I've found one I can buy, which is why i kinda need to know soon.
Thanks guys, you rock!
Chris

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sure a P90 head can be NA, but...

> Can the P90 head be used on a Normally
> aspirated engine? The reason I ask this is
> because of the square exhaust ports. Do they
> make a header for square exhaust port heads
> for NA? I've found one I can buy, which is
> why i kinda need to know soon.
> Thanks guys, you rock!
> Chris

There were lots of norm. asperated L series engines w/ square ports. The E31, E88, N33, P50, and N42 heads all had square exhaust ports. These heads were on Z engines from '69 to mid '77. You should be able to get a header for any appropriate Z in this year spread that would work w/ the P90.

The biggest thing you need to work on w/ using this head is the large combustion chamber size. This could be a problem unless you are planning on building a stroker engine, using pop-top pistons or turbo or super charging in the future 'cause your compression ratio may be low. The largest of the early heads chambers was 47.8 cc and the P90 is much larger at 53.6.

I have an excel 97 spread sheet that I can send you if you are interested that will help determine the different compression ratios using different heads/rods/strokes/pistons. Let me know if you want a copy.

tomh

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.