ZCar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new to me 1980 280ZX
Prev Owner put in a power antenna from Amazon, Chinese made garbage
When I turn the car off, when the antenna retracts, it makes an incredible ammount of noise
Sounds like somebody is taking a 1 inch drill to the quarter panel !

I have not had a chance to get in there yet, it COULD be that its not rubber mounted
and a rubber washer or two solves the problem, but I doubt it

Question: Has anyone purchased and installed a power antenna that is silent (or close to such) ???

If so, can you tell me where you got it? I see one on Z Car Depot but cant be sure of its quality

·
Registered
52 Posts
The original stock power antenna on my 79 280zx has always been loud. Probably made in Japan. Reminds me of the sound of a airline landing gear retracting! It's comforting to know its working when I hear that noise! Love it! Sorry, hope you get what need and want.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I take it you have tried a bunch, and this is the best ???
Mine sounds like somebody is taking a holesaw to the quarter panel retracting
Raising it is silent

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,883 Posts
I take it you have tried a bunch, and this is the best ???
Mine sounds like somebody is taking a holesaw to the quarter panel retracting
Raising it is silent
Haven't tried a lot. The factory antenna gave up, and the Hirschmann fit nicely and works well. It's no as loud as the example you give. I hear it more raising than lowering, but if the car's running I can't hear it work.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Z Car Depot has this one, it is advertised only as "OEM Look" . not a genuine OEM part
....Anyone have any idea if its any good?

The key to silence is rubber mounting, just like the fuel pump is

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,883 Posts
The Z Car Depot has this one, it is advertised only as "OEM Look" . not a genuine OEM part
....Anyone have any idea if its any good?

The key to silence is rubber mounting, just like the fuel pump is
Link?

The Hirschmann has a metal piece that makes contact on the inside of the fender. It has a separate ground, so you could cut out a piece of rubber to go between that piece and the inner fender. Black plastic exterior base with a securing nut over it.

Liquid Cosmetics Fluid Gas Tints and shades

·
Registered
152 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,883 Posts
Can't find the Hirschmann one on the internet
I do see a link for a large auto parts conglomerate, thats it
It has been a while, so perhaps that model is no longer in production. Sorry if I accidentally posed a red herring.

If you care to try Ebay, the one I used is the Hirschmann Hit Auta 2040, which is the chrome mast version. There is a black mast version too.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,883 Posts
Should be a rather simple 2-wire device, no?
....Actually one wire if where it attaches to the body counts as the ground
Yup. Mine is just power and ground. However, it doesn't do the "halfway up" option provided by the rectangular button at the top of the 280ZX face plate.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,883 Posts
That half-way thing is a joke. Works in theory, in practice, no difference
Agreed; therefore, no loss at all. BUT - NOTE - when the antenna gave trouble turning on reliably, I noticed that fiddling with that switch would often activate it. I pulled the switch and carefully took it apart (not difficult) - the contacts were extremely corroded and dirty. I cleaned them, used Caig DeoxIT on the contacts, and the antenna works reliably now.

So if you have that halfway switch and your antenna is not turning on consistently, pull that switch and check it to see if it needs cleaned.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting. A shitty 'extra' feature that does not work and creates another point of failure in the system
The Germans are famous for design complexities like this that just make the situation worse
Surprised at the Japanese on this one....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts