ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading Zluster's Post right below about shop space, and it reminded me of something. My friends dad just bought 23 acres of land here in Chapel Hill Purely for the purposes of a shop. We are putting up a 4 car garage, seperate form a small house that will be thre for late night tinkering. There's is also going to be a circuit-ish track, and a quarter-mileish strip is in consideration, If the space is available. The land is out on the very edge of Chapel Hill, and the closest person is about 7 miles away so no worries about Cops ;). If anyone near here would be interested in taking their Z for a spin on it once they are finished, or using the shop for tinkering (although 3 of the bays will be filled w/ my friends' Eclipse, His Dad's '42 Panel Van, and My Z I'm sure you would be welcome to the 4th). And yes, They are LOADED.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Maaaan.... I need something like that around here. I mean I have a good sized garage w/shop and air tools, but if I had a complete shop with lifts and all... I'd be happy. Not having a lift is the only thing that makes any maintenance difficult for me. I hate crawling under there with 16-18" of clearance.

That'll be awesome if they have a small track and 1/4 mile strip.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chapel Hill, NC

They are going to have a Hydraulic lift in one of the bays, and we have the hanging airtools in our current garage and a massive amount of tools including a tig, mig and arc welder, so basically we're set. It's nice having uber rich friends :-D.

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Need a roomate? Ya know like the kind that doesnt pay for anything and borrows all your money? That way I dont have to work and can enjoy life.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure how long it will take to have everything up, but the kid's dad is a contracter so he's gonna build everything himself. It'll be pretty sick. Anybody's welcome to stop by and stay as long as necessary to get your work done. But again I'm not sure when exactly any of this will happen

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha
I've actually talked to him about us letting people stay and work on their cars. His respone was :

"Cool by me, as long as nothing gets broken or stolen, adn I get to meet the ****** first."

Plus by the time all of it gets done I'm sure I'll have met a good deal of you that are close enough to stop by.

Looking back at that it does make me come off as a little weird doesn't it?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PLus it's being built mainly as a hang out place for his kid to kick back and hang out with friends, and work on cars.

Forgot to add that there will also be a seperate spray booth.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Wow.. that is sick.. I need some friends like that. Grats on the sick new hangout to work on your z etc. I hope they'll have a 60" plasma on the wall so you can watch football when you are taking a brake from your tinkering.

I need richer friends.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
this brings up one for you

a few years ago, my buddies dad did something similar to what your going for, but already did it

in nm, my buddies dad bought some acres about 20 years ago, five years ago he built a 2 bay shop allong with a well house combined. well he has 7 fully restored mustangs, a 48 ford truck, 2 49 ford trucks, and 6 other vehicles, well the two bay wasnt enough.

in aug. 04 he built a 50 x 100, shop including a 1/4 of turned into a 2 story apartment that he now lives in. he put in 2 lifts and has enough parking inside for quite a few vehicles. well he finished that project in june of 05.

he built the apartment for future plans of a mother in law quarters. they have begun building a 4500 sq.ft house on the property-basically thier dream home. as soon as that is final, probly this summer to next fall, he is adding on to his 50x100 shop/apartment with another 50x100 turned the other way making an L shape. in this shop he will then be adding in a paint booth and mostly be used for parking his mustangs.

both my buddies parents retired last year and it took them 20 years to accomplish their dreams, well his mom wants the house and his dad wanted the shop. his dads exact words were " if it werent for my wife, i would just stay in the apartment and be happy, but to keep her happy i had to build her a house."

hopefully the next time i go there ill get some pics and you guys can see what im talking about.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sweet, I hope our place turns into something like that ssm. Import tuning is my dream job, and Maybe after college I'll build a place like either of the two and live there like your friend's dad is doing. ~Drool~ can't wait for it to be finished.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.