ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to replace my exhaust manifold gasket. It is from Fel-Pro and I need to know if I need to use a gasket sealer, and which one?

One more question. I am also replacing my cam. Do I need to remove the head? Or can I just tilt the engine back and slide it out? I already have the head gasket, Im just worried about loosing the timing chain down in the cover. I have heard of a lot of people having trouble with this.

Thanks, Leslie L.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
> I am getting ready to replace my exhaust
> manifold gasket. It is from Fel-Pro and I
> need to know if I need to use a gasket
> sealer, and which one?

> One more question. I am also replacing my
> cam. Do I need to remove the head? Or can I
> just tilt the engine back and slide it out?
> I already have the head gasket, Im just
> worried about loosing the timing chain down
> in the cover. I have heard of a lot of
> people having trouble with this.

> Thanks, Leslie L.

Normaly you do not need to use gasket sealer on exhaust manafold gaskets, but if you have a header the guy at the Datsun Z Garage website recommends antisealant. I used it on my gasket with headers and have had no problems.

I don't think you will need to remove the head to change over your cam, but you will need to remove the cam gear which the timing chain runs over. So, no matter what you will need to block the chain prior to putting in the new cam. Just take your time and be careful and you will do fine.

·
Registered
403 Posts
> Normaly you do not need to use gasket sealer
> on exhaust manafold gaskets, but if you have
> a header the guy at the Datsun Z Garage
> website recommends antisealant. I used it on
> my gasket with headers and have had no
> problems.

I think he means Anti-sieze not antisealant. (just to clarify) also, just get the tool from motorsport (if you dare order from their sorry asses) it's only 10 bucks or so and saves alot of aggravation and time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.