ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not to long ago, I bought my 280Z. I got it for pretty cheap because it needs a lot of work. It would cost $$$$ to restore, since I don't know much/anything about cars. I was wondering if I should just part it out. Here's the condition:
I haven't really checked for rust on the frame.
At least 4 panels need replacing, due to our old foe, rust.
All wiring is in great condition.
No radio, but working power antena.
Interior in pretty good condition/cracked dash.
I bought the thing for $400.
Once again, thanks in advane,
-ted

·
Registered
247 Posts
> Well here's the thing. you will definately spend more to get the car into good shape that it is worth if you plan to ever sell it. However if you are going to keep it as in Hey son someday this car will be all yours bring it back to life. make that long horrible list of all the problems, problems only not the wish list stuff, then go from the largest problem to the smallest and ask yourself Is this something I really want to do? Can I do this while using the car as a daily driver? Will my girlfriend stay with me long enough so I can turn this car into something she will want to be seen in? Most of all its a question of love. I am a Z freak. Have been since high school when my friend picked me up in the Z his father gave him. I got one, I'm keepin one. I plan on getting another car pretty soon but its just because I dont want to drive my Z in the rain. Hope this helps
Craig
C.M.G. 76Z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
concerning the same question: my z has a slight front frame damage is it worth spending the time getting the frame in line and how easy is it to do so. Thanks

·
Registered
529 Posts
Re: Frame Damage

> concerning the same question: my z has a
> slight front frame damage is it worth
> spending the time getting the frame in line
> and how easy is it to do so. Thanks

I have a 240Z that was wrecked in the front end. Well, the truth is, I went into a corner too hot after putting on my new Tokcio Illumina's and hit a telephone pole. Anyway, I took the wreck to a body shop and $1000.00 later they had cut off the front of the frame from the shock towers foward a welded on one from a junkyard. At first I was happy until i tried to put the body panels back on. Nothing lined up. I was pissed to say the least. The car is back together now but the body panels don't line up and it looks like s#%t. Here's what i recomend. The car can be fixed properly if you take it to the right shop. ITS racers have to have their Z's put back in line every race season or so. Make **** sure that the shop you take it to is reputable. Make sure that they are recomended by people you know. I would get a hold of some on the SCCA people in your area and find out what frame shops they use to straighten out thier cars. Keep in mind that this is an expensive procedure no matter how minimal the damage is. The grand i spend was on a car that i took to them with no bodywork, no engine or tranny. All they did was cut off the front section and weld on another one. They didn't even clean up the welds or paint anything. Now that I have taken a closer look at the frame on my car, it is bent up near the firewall, far from the area that was sectioned. Soooo...make sure that you get it done right or the car may turn out ruined like mine. One of these days I am going to post some pics of my car and all you guys (and Gals) can see what a crappy job they did on it.

Anyway, sorry about the book, just be careful!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.