ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
14,442 Posts
Oh. Ive driven 2 of them, an auto and a 6 speed Track Edition. As mentioned, it IS a really strong performer...but I have been spoiled by ny Stage XX+ NA to fully be able to give an honest opinion about the 350Z.

"Would I buy a 350Z?" After owning a Z32, no. I would look elsewheres for my fun. Why? Because it feels like a step backwards, like having incredible sex with with a hot girl, and returning to the same house later to have OK sex with her homely sister. I would be the same way if I owed an RX7 FD and went to an RX8, or getting rid of an M3 for a 325, turboed Eclipse GX-T for one of those 2000 model Eclipses. If I am gonna hit, it wont be from 2 in the same family.

If you are just wanting a new(er) car, I would look at everything from a Subie to an Elise...but keep in mind, this is coming from a guy that had his toes spread and synapses fried by the hotty. You may not feel the same way if your Z32 experience has not been as epic as mine.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't see spending 15k on a 10 year old car to make it reliable. You ,miles are still going to pour on and your still going to have wear and tear. You wont see any of that investment back either, Where the 350 still holds a good value and warranty. I went from my stage V TT to a 350 and was more than happy. I loved my TT but the constant repairs were killing me. I've put 50K miles on my 350 and have invested 1 set of tires, pads and oil. Its a great car!

·
Registered
13,644 Posts
I don't see spending 15k on a 10 year old car to make it reliable. You ,miles are still going to pour on and your still going to have wear and tear. You wont see any of that investment back either, Where the 350 still holds a good value and warranty.
False. 350's are selling for as much as Z32 TT's already, and they're only 3-4 years old. You also don't need to put $15,000 in it just to make it reliable. Regular maintenance schedules and nothing should fail that doesn't have potential to fail on the 350 (or any other car for that matter). Offhand I can't think of ANYTHING I've HAD to do to my Z other than regular maintenance items (clutch, batteries, timing belt service, etc.).

·
Registered
14,442 Posts
Crazee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't see spending 15k on a 10 year old car to
> make it reliable. You ,miles are still going to
> pour on and your still going to have wear and
> tear. You wont see any of that investment back
> either, Where the 350 still holds a good value
> and warranty. I went from my stage V TT to a 350
> and was more than happy. I loved my TT but the
> constant repairs were killing me. I've put 50K
> miles on my 350 and have invested 1 set of tires,
> pads and oil. Its a great car!

Some people should keep a car with a warrantee. The very same people pay Jiffy Lube to change their oil, go to the dealersh!t for "scheduled maintenance", and have the guy at Advance Auto install his wiper blades for him. Better be ready to sell your 350Z as your warrantee is aout over,

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
I think Ballistic hit the nail on the head. I have test driven a lot of different cars since getting my Z, and nothing is quite as good. Most cars would be a compromise. The 350z was pretty low on my list.. it was cramped and cheap-feeling side, and the space inefficiency was really bad. Combine that with the fact that it was also a lot slower than my TT and I wasn't interested.

The G37 might be a good solution though. The Gs are getting faster and better with each generation.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
G35.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
If the new Altima Coupe was a RWD i would consider buying one. The rear ends of both those and the earlier G35 coupes are awesome.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
The 350z turns more heads than the G35. G35 is pretty plain looking old mans version of a coupe/sedan. I have driven them both and the G feels piggish compared to the 350z.

The 350 is a awesome track machine A blast to drive. It would be the car i would buy if something happened to my TT.

I love driving the Treefiddy and if i could justifiy it i would already own one.

The G a 2+2 350z? hardly they look nothing alike. THere was a Daytona Blue 350z next door to the Infinity dealer. After teh test drive i parked next to the 350 got out and walked around both. Thats bascially what did it for me. The 350 looks more like a sports car and the G looks like a Buick. They didn't appreciate me doing that. I'm like you guys were the ones saying they don't compare...they were selling me on the "fat luxery sports car"...i told them i could care less whether it has blue tooth, gps blah blah blah

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Once you go boost, its hard to go backwards. Fun factor?? when i would mash the gas on the G i was like "is this it"? Put that with the 42k price tag and i tripped out.

For a few thousand dollars you can buy a tt and trick it out to the point you can have a very mean car that will put down most of whats on the road for 20-25k total price tag. The 300TT still looks better than anything out there at 15 years old and counting.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
But you can always TT a 350Z...and from what I heard the kit can make the vq engine produce 500+ whp.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Yes the G35 has been referred to as a 2+2 350Z. It does not have to have the spitting image of a 350Z for this to be the case. They share a lot of the same things and in essence it is a 2+2 of the 350Z. IMHO it looks a lot better than a 350Z. And the two smaller rear seats are great. Much more useful than the ones in the Z32 2+2. Since they are essentially the same car a lot of parts are interchanged. I have a JWT Pop charger on mine and RS*R 350Z lowering springs. Planning on getting a plenum spacer and catback soon. Very true, mashing the pedal is not the same as when done on my 90TT. I really am thinking about going FI on this, either a supercharger or TT kit...

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
if you are over 5'4" the back seats are useless.

i'm glad you like it...there is nothing striking about that car...at best its a watered down version of the 350, less agro and more lux for the baby boomer crowd.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Why does everyone think it is a water down version? It is NOT. My 06 G35 has the REV up engine at 298HP stock, the same as the 06 350Z. Yes the Z is lighter so in essense could be a tad faster but they have the same engine people. Earlier G/Z's had 280HP.

I agree the rear seats are small, but I have had people as tall a 5'11" back there and they fit ok! Me, no I would not fit! But if I had to go back there we have a problem!

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
5'11" sitting back there for a quick 30 second ride to the corner c-store, maybe, but they would still be pissing about it.

I have driven both the G35 (an 03 and and 05 for half a day.) and even compared to the 350z it felt like a pig. One of my colleges has a 350 and i have taken it out at least half dozen times. The 350 is the nimbler tighter ride.

The only reason i even considered the G is what everybody said, "oh they are just like a 350 only better looking..." etc etc... and the fact they had four seater capacity. When i put a 5'4" passenger back there they had to skootch their butt forward in order for their head to clear the window.

Not doggin your ride...i just hated the car for the price tag and the lack of "fun-factor" it had compared to my TT or the mufugly 350z.

For a sedan its ok looking at best but when you put it in the coupe/sports car class(Kate Beckensale) i think its very "Gwyneth Paltrow"

·
Registered
10,894 Posts
I wouldn't say its a watered down version at all. Its really the difference between US Z32 TT coupes and JDM Z32 TT 2+2s. Aside from different intake and exhaust.. not much difference power wise.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
the watered down was not directed soley at the power output...the total package.

Park them side by side and the varition is marked...mcuh more than the z32 coupe and the 2+2

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
A lot of newer cars look difference from the coupe/sedan models. Look at the G35 coupe vs sedan, the Honda Accord coupe, sedan. I can definately see how it runs in the family. I think it looks great! I am biased though... ;)

Hardly your Grand-mama's Buick son!

21 - 40 of 85 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.