ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I am dressing up my engine, it seems like the time to discuss the pros and cons of replacing the mechanical fuel pump on the motor with an electric one.

I will get a chrome fuel pump block off plate for the engine.

I don't want to spend an arm and a leg with this upgrade. Any suggestions?

Also wondering where it would be mounted. I reckon hook up is pretty easy, though.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
507 Posts
An electric fuel pump should be mounted as close to the gas tank as possible. The pump pushes better than it pulls. I have a Holley blue pump. The instructions say to mount it within 18" of the tank. Warning...this pump is VERY loud. You can hear it with the car running. I don't like it at all as a result. I have no recommendation as to what to buy.

There is room between the gas tank and the diff. for the pump. If your 240 is a 72 or newer it may already have the wires run for an electric pump....mine did.

You will also need a pressure regulator. Your SUs cannot handle more than 4 PSI of pressure.

The holley pump and regulator cost ~80. I have a couple of old RX7s as well so I might try to get the fuel pump off one of these and try it for volume.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
On my daily driver I've put a universal electric fuel pump from Krangan, around $20.00 and it does not require a regulator. It looks like a cylinder about 4" long and 1 1/4" dia. Very quiet. Also on the plus side, you can put a switch in line and be able to turn it off when you park the car. If someone goes to steal it, they'll get about a block away and the car will die. Just ask for a universal replacement pump and tell them you only need about 4 psi.

I also have the Blue Holly on my other car and it's LOUD. You can hear it inside and outside of the car.

When you do it, put a filter before the pump and one after. This will prolong the life of the pump.

Good luck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
my car pump

I have a 1971 240z. the wires for an electric pump are in the car from the factory. Look at the wire harness in the back of the car. You need to be under the car looking up at the fuel tank sending unit and the wires that attach to the fuel tank. You should see some blue colored plastic tape on the harness. undo that blue tape. under the tape are the wires for the fuel pump. if you look up on the bottom of the floor/frame sections you will see some threaded holes, those holes are to bolt the fuel pump mounting bracket onto -- electric fuel pumps, and the bracket for carbureted cars are most commonly found on 260zs.. but if guys like me have gotten a hold of the car, you may find bracket and pump on any 240 or 260.
the fuel pump from nissan has a built in intake side fuel filter, check valves to prevent fuel drain back, and is regulated to about 4 psi all in one package. cost for this pump is over $75. I also have a 1972 510 with side draft webers and i use two of these pumps in parallel. I have had no problems with these pumps. they are quiet. and if you have the proper brackets, bolt right on.
the wires for the other end are located behind the radio/heater control panel. another blue tape on the harness will be around the other end of the wires for the fuel pump, check wire color codes to make sure you have the fuel pump wires and not the fog light wires. you will have to make a connector to run the ground connection and fuse box connection.. under the heater/ radio panel.

william

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
240Zs have 2 pumps?

This has always confused me. Doesn't the 72 240Z already have an electric pump next to the gas tank? I always wondered why it needed one on the engine.

I must admit I haven't carefully and fully explored my gas tank area. Since it is coming out soon for cleaning and replacement of hoses, this is an ideal time to factor in getting an electric pump.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Re: 240Zs have 2 pumps?

the 240Z have an electric pump close to the fuel tank. Up front on the passenger side of the engine is a mechanical fuel pump. There is an off center ring (eccentric)that oscillates the pump diapraghm. I've removed the mechanical and installed a new universal electric pump at the rear next to the tank. I have a regulator up front which delivers 3 psi to the triple webers. Setup works fine w/o problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.