ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a set of Ground Control Coilovers for my 72 240Z. I wanted to shorten the stock strut assembly by 1", anyone know of a good method or shop that can do this? And also a good method of ridding the stock perch mount so I can have the coilover sleeve welded to the strut assembly. I will be using Tokico Illumina shocks in this set up.
Thanks to anyone with insight on this subject.

·
Super Moderator
41,005 Posts
welll...

I took the spring perches off with a big lathe, the same one I used to cut the tube down with...

Alternating that, your best bet if you only want to cut 1" out of the shock housing, is to cut the 1" out that has the spring perch on it!
Use a big pipe cutter (you can rent one from most rental agencies). This will let you cut the tube straight, and prep it nicely for welding.
OR
You can score it with a large tubing cutter (which won't be heavy enough to cut through the tube...) but after getting a nice square score 1" apart, you can either cut it with a simple hacksaw, or band saw. You can finish it nicely to the scribed line using a grander, or even a hand file.

To weld it all back together, chain vicegrip the tube assembly together in about a 2" piece of angle iron to make it straight, tack it, and then indicate in a few places to make sure the tube is straight before doing the final welding around the exterior of the tube.

In some cases, if the strut tube you are using is from another car with a smaller diameter, you can have a "bushing" made, and use THIS to pilot on your cut halfs, and with the inner diameter cut to the size you need to properly support your smaller diameter strut tube. But that is getting overly complicated, usually the shocks are fairly close to stock diameter, and unless you are getting exotic for weight savings, this should not be necessary.

Good Luck, it's pretty easy when you rent that tube cutter. Makes a nice line.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Ditto to TonyD. Good info here for sure.

·
Super Moderator
41,005 Posts
watch out...

I hear you can blow your headgasket from using shortened strut tubes!

At least on Gearheads Car...

I know, not even applicable, but someone has to give you sh*t when you post, and that person is me!

LOL

;^P

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.