ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to put an aftermarket short shifter into a 5 speed transmision? I have no clue what model the transmision came from. This is a car that I bought last week so all the help from the experts is greatly appreciated.

Erik

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes, they make short throw's for the 5 speed. Both Borg-Warner and the other one.... (I don't know the manufacturer). But the bigger question is why short shift? On the borg you will find you wont like it. It is very hard to shift and very clunky to begin with. About the only time you need a short throw is when Dragging. I know it feels more sporty, but chances are that it will be harder to hit the gates with the short throw than with the regular shifter... If you REALLY want to shorten the shift, go to a junk yard, get the same shifter out of a junker, then cut 2-3 inches off the top of it. Now this is not a true short throw, but it will ba about the same work out in your arm and reduce the amount your hand moves. This is a rig a buddy of mine did in his 280Z, it worked smoothly. Also, go down to you local Nissan dealer and get the shifter bushings. WOW! This will make it feel like a new tranny. I put new bushings in my car and it took all the rattle and tightened up the shift. After putting in the bushings I had no interest in a short throw.. But Yes you can get a shift kit... Call Motorsport. :p
Hope this helps, Let us know!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advise. I thought about cutting an old one off but dismissed it. I was going for the sportiness of it that's really it. But I think I'll try your suggestion. I bought this car last week and I'm just trying to find out what needs to be done, what I can do, and what I should not do. Right now the most pressing issue is to take care of the rusted out floor boards and a gashed hood. Any suggestions on the floor boards would be greatly appreciated.

Does Motorsprots have a web page?

Thanks ya'll
Erik

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Short throw shifters and more.

First and formost, our friend Bandit is a bit confused: NO ONE makes a short throw shifter for DATSUN T-5 trany. There are tons of places making/selling short throw for T-5 ( Mustang, Camaro, etc) but they are a bit diffrerent internally and will not fit.
Bandit is right about bushings thou. It will make ton of difference. Like any other bushings you may want to replace on your car. Just make sure they are graphite-injected urethane once.
You can also cut stock shifter like he sugested, not same thing but will improve a bit.

RUST - KILL IT OR BE KILLED!

Eugene '83ZXT

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Short throw shifters and more.

> First and formost, our friend Bandit is a
> bit confused: NO ONE makes a short throw
> shifter for DATSUN T-5 trany. There are tons
> of places making/selling short throw for T-5
> ( Mustang, Camaro, etc) but they are a bit
> diffrerent internally and will not fit.
> Bandit is right about bushings thou. It will
> make ton of difference. Like any other
> bushings you may want to replace on your
> car. Just make sure they are
> graphite-injected urethane once.
> You can also cut stock shifter like he
> sugested, not same thing but will improve a
> bit.

i think bandit may be right. Motorsport Auto offers a short throw shift kit in their catalog. They do not have their website up as of yet...but you can call them at 1 800 633 6331 to order a cataolg for free.

> RUST - KILL IT OR BE KILLED!

> Eugene '83ZXT

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not for T-5 but...

Sorry to dissapoint you my friend.
They offer short throw for 240Z-280Z, but not 280ZX.

But .... I know a guy here who showed interest in making one. He just really takes his time.
If we get a group of people together I might be able to get some better price, and hurry him along. What do you say?

Eugene '83ZXT

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Not for T-5 but...

Sorry to dissapoint you my friend.
> They offer short throw for 240Z-280Z, but
> not 280ZX.

> But .... I know a guy here who showed
> interest in making one. He just really takes
> his time.
> If we get a group of people together I might
> be able to get some better price, and hurry
> him along. What do you say?

> Eugene '83ZXT

hey...sorry about that...read it wrong...ok...if the price is right, and i can bolt it on with relatively no problem, i would be interested...let this guy know that there are ZX owners out there that want more sport then they already have...and tell the hospital that the check is in the mail...heh

thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Re: Not for T-5 but...

> Sorry to dissapoint you my friend.
> They offer short throw for 240Z-280Z, but
> not 280ZX.

> But .... I know a guy here who showed
> interest in making one. He just really takes
> his time.
> If we get a group of people together I might
> be able to get some better price, and hurry
> him along. What do you say?

> Eugene '83ZXT

Motorsports does offer a short throw shifter for the ZX. I have the catalogue in my lap now, and I talked to them last week. It's a bit high, listed price is $244, but yeah they have it.

Chris Behney

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.