ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a1978Z, of which I'm thinking of installing a short throw shifter from Motorsports. Has anyone done this and how did it turn out? Is it hard to do and do I need to pull the transmission or can I do it by simply removing the center console?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Did it on my 77. The trans can stay in and it is really pretty easy. I love the results. Just make sure you can get the clips on tight or the shifter will feel funny. The throws are MUCH shorter, almost like a Miata. 2nd and 4th are like where nuetral was. I never miss a gear. 5th is still WAY over though.

The only thing I cannot compare is feel because I put this on a new 5spd before I drove it. It seems tough to do the 3-2 downshift now but I don't know if it is the shifter or the trans.

Enjoy.

·
Read Only
3,883 Posts
its great at least for the early Z models, ive never driven a later model ZX except for the 300. i know in the early Z's though its fantastic and the job like said before is really easy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: Which is shorter? MSA or ZX?

I just chucked my shifter in the lathe and cut off a couple of inches and then cut new threads in it with a 8mm X 1.25 die. It was really easy to do except I cut my first one too short so I had to do it over again. Luckilly I had an extra rod. It looks great just having the boot and the knob with no shaft showing. Works awesome too. And didn't cost anything. If you really plan on slammin' gears, don't forget to adjust the clutch pedal height to remove all of the excess slack.

·
Registered
241 Posts
A faster option yet

I took my '83 shifter out and cut out 1 3/4" out of it, ground the ends beveled, bolted it in a vice and welded it back together. In my shifter it worked perfect, and there was virtually no buildup to grind down because I beveled it back far enough. The whole thing took less than an hour from the time I started to pull the console to the time it went back in with the short shifter in. It shifts and feels great. The only thing is that you have to push the rubber boot down a bit at the base so the lip rides under the console peice and trim a bit of the rubber lip off the top to keep the boot from buckling and looking ugly.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Actually...

The short throw kit moves the fulcrum (pivot point) of the lever up, thus making your throw shorter. And yes the lever is a bit shorter, but most of the shortness in throw is achieved by moving the fulcrum. There are extensions that you put on the trans itself and then the new lever is made for the new pin position.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Re: cutting=shorter throw?

yes, so long as you have acess to a welder to get it back together. The best part is you get to chose how short you want it. Keep an eye on the curve of the stick, you don't want it to point off to the side, and make sure it will work with your boot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: welding shifter=meltage?

are there any bushings or anything else that will melt if i mig weld the cut-down shifter while it's in the car?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.