1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
The shiro had no speed limiter which is why it can go up to 153mph. Also the tubo 300zx will go faster than 137 you just need to cut the purple wire that is the speed limiter.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Stock Turbo Z's can probably hit 145-150...While I've heard of a somewhat stock NA hitting 140 before, although it probably took a long time.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats what i thought but how do you explain that road and track tested a shiro at 153 mph i cant honestly explain that i always thought it was limited. can anyone tell me where the limiter is on my car im now curious if i even have one. id think if r&t tested the shiro and it clocked 153 id say thats pretty credible but i knew if i post this i would get some different answers....that would be expected. but can anyone tell me where this limiter is or what it looks like?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I have the **** article so Ill set the record straight. for the purpose of that top speed test, the magazine had Nissan disconnect that particular Shiro's speed limiter that is USUALLY on the Turbo models. That is how that SS in the magazine got up to 150+. the Z31 IS capable of those speeds.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ahhhhhhhhh ok thanks sport driver thats exactly what i wanted to know would you know where the speed limiter is so im able to disconnect mine. thakns in advance

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
140mph (225 kmph)

I've had my NA off the clock before which goes up to 230kmph (143 mph) quite easily and still gaining. Then I get a bit scared and back off hehe but I probably could push a bit more out of it if I tried . I couldn't tell you on comparison how fast it takes to get to that speed vs a turbo because I've never driven one but my NA pulls hard so although I'd expect the turbo to gain alot faster I still can get up to speed fairly quickly.

Biggest difference between my Z31 and ones exported to the USA is that AUS builds were basically jap-spec Z31s with the analogue dash, electric fan and a some other modifications which all came stock. I'd be interested to see the difference in performance between an AUS Z31 and a US Z31 if any.

Just thought I'd share, some NA's CAN haul ass...

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
i doubt our speedometers are actually accurate at those speeds though. I've gotten mine up to the 140 mark, but it took a long time to get it there.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
What can you run out your NA too before you shift? Mines at about 6,100rpms if im pushing it. Reason I ask is that I've been in another NA that was totally shot and was slow as ****, mine was the same when I got it too. 6 months later and lots of coin I've got it running awesome, gets more rpm than ever while still gaining power and 1st gear punches big time, launches u off the ground some.

One thing though when sitting at a cool 200kmph the car is smooth as anything; then when u slow to the speed limit it feels like you've stopped almost. Ive been in my friends RX7 and that was all over the road at those speeds. I love my Z! :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
yes our cars were designed for high speeds , i believe the have a lower drag coffeficient than the even the new z33's, and 6100 rmps sounds awesome ,do you have the stock upper intake manifold? , because that is a big restirction in our cars , and even in my car (turbo) it takes a while longer to get 6000 rpms than i would like it to,i find it to shift at around 5000-5500 , because in the higher gears it take a while in my. and yes before my car was turbo it took a while at high speeds to accelerate than in it now sow that really where the turbo gain comes in , at highspeeds the boost helps you get to a higher speed faster with all the torque

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Yeah I've got stock upper intake manifold, only real mods on mine is the exhaust system and suspension. Got the z31 K&N filter aswell, but most of my power came from getting standard things replaced with new like transmission, mass air flow meter and things like that. Car really went like sh*t before all the majorly worn components were replaced with new. I dont believe in modding a car until it's mechanically perfect stock.

·
Registered
353 Posts
yea well sometimes you have to replace stuff to get it running right,and either you get the stock or you get something better that will do the same job you know.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I shift at 5200 normally when i'm hauling ass. I can take it all the way to 6500 in first and second easily, but if I shift at 5200 I get my best results. If I take 4rth gear to the redline (6000) I'll be going about 120mph, but if I shift to fifth at like 100 I'll get there faster.

·
Registered
353 Posts
lol just got back from school just now and i dont really get a chance on the way home to pick it up more than a 100 anyway , but i find myself not really looking at my tach and just shifting from the sound,but i did look down once and it feels best to shift around 5500 max , i am thinking of really getting all the headwork done and fabbing a different intake manifold fromn the straight shot one and gettin the stiffer cam springs and new semi agressive cams to go along with the romulator mostly so i can take it up to 7k or a little more . i wonder how much fun it must be revving it up that high , also i think the stock turbo should be able to work ,so at 10 psi it shouldnt be too badwith the stock turbo, not very efficient but it should be able to do the job.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I imagine that if there's even little things wrong with the car and you drop a turbo on and push out more power then somethings going to break. It's just my personal philosophy that if everything is 100% stock and working perfectly, then go ahead and add more HP but not before. So many people I know locally drop more power into screwed up cars, screwing them up further.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.