ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused, help me out if possible. I got my head shaved not sure how much but it is. I've hard that it needs to be shimmed for proper timming or to make the engine time correctly. So how do I do this? Where do I measure? I read once that you could go to the yard and pull some shimes from a wrecker and use them. I could do that but not sure of the hole concept.
Thanks

·
Registered
402 Posts
It depends on how much was removed from the head. Assuming that your timing chain and sprockets are near new you can remove up to .030 from the head surface and still get the camshaft timing correct by selecting either the No.2 or No.3 hole in the camshaft sprocket.

If the camshaft towers need to be shimmed a thicker lash pad will usually have to be installed to maintain correct wipe pattern on the rocker arm. If the thicker lash pad extends above the retainer by more than .060 a deeper style retainer should be used. Usually the deeper style retainer requires extensive shimming of the stock valve spring due to the increased distance from the retainer to the spring seat area in the head. As you can see a chain reaction (HA HA) can take place.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.