ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just converted my 1990 automatic transmission to a manual. Sometimes I find it to be a lil difficult to shift into gear with the clutch fully depressed. This only happens in first or second. Does anyone else have this problem or might know what is causing this?

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
the only resaon i ask is that most manual transmissions can be quite stiff or "clunky" as the term applies when its below 40 or so. My transmission can be a little tough to get into gear on really cold mornings, and notchy when going into second, but the problem clears up within a mile or two due to the warming up of the transmission and the fluid. If you don't already use redline mt-90, you might consider changing to it. It has yielded positive results for pretty much every one who's changed to it. I have no idea whats in mine, but won't bother with it until it comes time to change the clutch. If this isn't your problem, then it could be bushings or, worst case, the synchros.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Just a couple of thoughts.
You said the car had recently been converted to manal. I'd bleed the clutch, much has been written about how critical it is to have absolutely all the air out of the system.
I'd change the transmission oil to Redline or equivalent synthetic.

You did install new shift bushings when you had the 5 speed installed, right? If not, it's a good thing to consider because I've read a few accounts where people thought the had tranny trouble but after replacing the bushings, the problems disappeared.

Lastly, these cars have single cone syncros (except the '95's). The lower gear syncros don't allow the transmission to shift down easiley from 2nd to first at anything more than a walk.

Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.