ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, last time there was an article like this one 17_6 ended up getting ridiculed so I'm going to try and stay away from that. I'm just curious, what do most people shift at? I've got a completely stock NA '88 2+2. I'm out in Vermont so I'm not running it much now but I've got friends with WRX's and EVO's etc. I doubt that I can realistically race them but I'd like to put up a decent fight. What are the optimum shift points for a stock NA? I don't have access to a dyno or even a track where I can try and figure this out (just the main street down the road and that's got a lot of snow on it). Oh and by the way, I have to agree with 17_6, I'm also 17, this is my first and only car and I don't have money to put into it. It's hard having a part-time job paying minimum wage and trying to afford mods and upgrades to my car. Thanks to the2thmansz for the tip on my battery by the way. Saved me $100 on having to get a new alternator.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Well for the n/a you want to hit 5800-6000rpm. As for your friends WRX's and EVO's don't even bother. You won't put up any kind of fight. They will beat you so bad it will look as if you are standing still. Look at it this way. Stock you run mid to high 16's while stock they run low 13's. Not trying to be mean but they are just way out of your league for even trying to put up a fight. **** I've got a decently modded 280z that blows away my 300zx n/a, look at sig for mods, and still they kill me like I'm not even racing. Even a modded 300zx turbo would probably have problems against them. As for the part-time job issue it can be hard but not really. I'm not much older than you, 23, and I've managed to mod both my cars while going to school full time with only working about 10 hours a week and doing full time during the summer/winter breaks. If you can manage your money good you shouldn't have a problem. Also the more you learn to work on the car yourself the cheaper things will be. Good luck.

·
Registered
248 Posts
same with me..I'm 22, finishing college right now, and I have done a shitload to my Z..added a turbo, intercooler, cams, etc etc etc...but I dont make minimum wage of course....

Why the **** are you in a job that makes minimum wage? There are plenty of jobs out there where you can make 10-15$ an hour easily.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Mike 87T is right, Im 18 years old and i refuse to work for any less than 10 an hour right now im only making 10 but i am a full time student. If you look hard and give it some time u will be able to find a job that will pay you atleast 10 an hour.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the encouragement. I have a job at KFC because my friend's dad is the manager. After 3 months I just got a raise from 7.25 to 7.75 an hour so I'm making more than minimum wage, I'm just trying to save it for school. At the end of this year I'm off to college and unfortunately I'm not keeping my Z. Only way I'll get a car is if I go to a Canadian school and then I think my parents might get me a Scion tc. Anyway, I wish I had more automotive knowledge because then I could do my own work and save money. I've got my service manual but I just don't have enough basic knowledge or the tools to do the work. I do enjoy reading everything here though and learning from others' posts. Thanks for the advice against my friends' cars. I didn't think I stood much of a chance against them anyway but wanted to confirm it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
hey man i feel ya..i shift at 5200 cause i looked at someone elses dyno which isnt the greatest idea but hey im gettin my dyno soon so ill figure it out soon enough...but ya get dynoed then have your rpms drop down through each gear right between the torque bar and hp bar...that way you get max torque and follow the hp out on the line..its the fastest way to do it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.