ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i got a new leather stock shifter boot today and i went to replace it with the old rubbery thing thats on it stock as well. Not a big deal, but i cant get the shifter knob off the shifter. How do you get it off? Twist, pull, a special ratchet what is it? very frustrating.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Do you have a non-turbo or turbo? The turbo model you do exactly as AZ-ZBUM stated. 4 bolts and you're good!

On the non-turbo models the shifter is held in place by a "snap-ring." If you look down into where it connects you will see a ring around the bottom with two little holes. You can pick up a snap ring tool at your local tool shop that will help you get it out of there really easily but if you can't get to that I used a butter knife and a really small screw driver.

It doesn't sound like you have a Haynes manual - GO GET ONE! They pay for themselves the first time you have to use them.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks for the help i gotta try it after school to day. Does anyone have any wheels they wanna sell??

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Check this out - this is right out of the FSM and Haynes manual.

I did add the word "Turbo" and "Non-Turbo" to the two illustrations to help ease confusion but hopefully this helps describe what I am talking about.

Here is the FSM for the z31 manual transmission:
http://www.zheritage.com/mt.pdf

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
he is trying to get the shift knob off to replace the leather boot that you see inside the cabin. There is no need to touch the transmission.

http://www.redlinegoods.com/Z31MT84install.shtm

Every single Z31 manual transmission just unscrews.

You have to do that before you can even get down to those lower bolts. Yes, stu. You are confused.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just have no idea. This is extremely frustrating. Ill just get my mechanic to do it for free real quick.. Thanks for the help. how do i know if its a N/a or not??

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
johnndrew24 wrote:
> how do i know if its a N/a or not??

Ummm... It doesn't matter.

NA = normally aspirated. i.e. not turbo.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK so i hate this. I just wanna put the **** leather shifter boot on and replacce the shitty rubber one, But i cant get it off!!! I used vice grips, the thing won;t budge. ANY ONE wanna come over and do it for me?? lol i wish, anyone near memphis TN? its so frustrating i know it comes off cause i just had a new clutch put in about 3 months ago, is it possible my mechanic glued it on when he put the new clutch in? light put glue in with the part you screw on? I HATE THIS. I LOVE MY CAR THOUGH!;)

Sorry just complaining

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
wrap it with a rag and use a pipe wrench. it will come off. if not. throw the pipe wrench through the windshield of the mechanic's new car. be sure to wipe off any fingerprints first.

edit: take it back to the mechanic and have him remove it for you.

Post Edited (May 2, 11:55am)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.