ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shaving the Z for a better look and I was wondering what others have done to cover the original bumper mount holes and oval pressed holes that are located behind where the original rear bumper once was. I have seen several Zs that have a smooth rounded finish and was wondering if they used fiberglass, welded fill sheets in place, cheap Bondo or tack welding a new plate? Any help or sugestions is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Jeremy

· Registered
5,961 Posts
I've done both, first one I did I used fiberglass and some glazing putty to finish it off - it turned out good and painted well. The last one I welded a piece of sheet metal over the factory panel and it looked, well factory. Not that the glass didn't but the metal I seemed almost flawless after paint and I know that years down the road the metal will look better. I made sure to run the hose over the back end to make sure I had no water resevoirs as bad as these cars rust.

Matt

· Registered
996 Posts
Jerr-We used to refer to that as "rolling the pan" and we did exactly what Matt suggests. We got a piece of sheet metal, decided where we would attach it and on a sheet metal roll and brake, curved and bent a part to fit where the bumper fastens. Then it was welded to the body, filled lightly and painted.
Problem is, there is little to no support under the metal so it dents easily (supermarkets, parking lots, beer, all the usual causes for dents). A rolled pan ususally called for some sort of nerf bar to protect it from the occasional dummy.
Dan

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This sounds like the best solution, but since I am new to the sheet metal fab, what thickness should I look at using and how wide of a piece did you use? I don't know if I should go all the way to the rounded corners or fill that in later. Also, to stiffen the sheet metal, would it be a good idea to back fill it with something from the back where the current holes are now? Do you happen to have any pics of your work in progress or finished work, i would love to take a look.
Thanks for the info,
Jerr

· Registered
153 Posts
I am not clear about what look you are going for... Look at my post in zdriver.com under "rides", then click on "79-83", I am on the 2nd row.

I used a Motorsport aero bumper - then cut off and disposed of the lower section to get a "CLEAN" shaved bumper look. It was easy to do and looks pretty good.

If you are interested - email me & I will give you the part numbers

Gerry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.