ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of shaving my Z but am a bit stuck as to what to do with the hatch lock assembly. Has anyone else looked into doing this, and if so, what did you use as an opener...(i.e. electric servo or mechanical pull cable)?
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Jerr

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I'm thinking about doing this too. If am not mistaken, Victoria British has a kit for this purpose. Even so, I could think that any solonoid and door "pusher" kit could be modified for this purpose. My goal would be to have a remote entry control that would unlock/lock the doors and have another button to pop open the trunk. I have seen these at a site called "autolok" (I think). But they were pricey.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I shaved my door locks and left my hatch but changed it to a smoother key latch. I am glad i kept it because those **** door pops break constanly.. I am always having to crawl through that hatch to get into my car. lol . I tried to companies and they seem to break the tech said it has to do with the weight of the door locks it has to push up? I dont know ? just my story so far

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
The guy putting door locks in says he has more problems with the solonoids than the door pops. But know you've given me something else to worry about!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info... I saw the one in Vic-Brit and it looks like it uses a small draw cable system... I already have the doors shaved and the gas filler cover, hopefully with this kit I will be completely smooth come X-mas...

P.S. is the issue with the solonoids that they just arn't large enough to handle the door weight, or are you using smaller ones. I was going to use the 35 or 59 lb. unit for good measure.

Thanx, Jerr

·
Registered
133 Posts
www.slickcar.com appears to have a good selection with reasonable prices. I was looking into it myself, but the responses you just got are making me think again. Don't like the idea of climbing thru my hatch...kinda defeats the idea of "looking cool". Good luck...

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am surprized that your z doesn'y have a pull cable under the left corner of the drivers seat every z from 79 to 83 i have seen has one. getting one frome a junkyard should be about 10$ or less and installing is easy the bolt holes should already be there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.