Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I've got an 85 na and the Motor driven radiator fan wont turn freely.

All belts look new.

This leads to a large amount of power loss and a very LOUD wooshing noise coming off of it. (I thought the noise was a leak in my intake but there are no cracks or anything. It's the fan.)

How easy is the fan clutch to replace?
Pep boys quoted me at $165 for parts, labor and some interference fees.
Would it be worth my while to do this myself or should i spare myself the time and money?
Either way, thanks in advance. I just dont wanna bring it in if i dont have to.

Thanks again,
Joel R.

Post Edited (Apr 26, 4:23am)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it a very difficult job? I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but i've never done anything too big.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
it's very very easy to replace, there's a few bolts and it's off. However, I suggest you upgrade to an electric fan and get rid of that whirling beast all together. You can definetly find one for pretty cheap, and it's not that difficult to wire up. You'll gain some power, and free up some engine bay room.

Also, why are you going to pep boys to diagnose your car problems? Take it to a real shop.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
http://www.thespecshop.com/z31/index.asp
Electric Fan Conversion Kit

It's not the cheapest solution but it's probably the easist way to get into an eletronic fan setup.

The fan clutch is super-easy to get off though - 5 (?) bolts that you will need a wrench to get off but they usually aren't on super-tight.

DO IT YOURSELF! You can and it is worth the money savings. It's a good chance to spend some quality time with your Z.

Post Edited (Apr 26, 7:09am)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Just a note - when I said "money savings" I was referring to him replacing the fan clutch himself as opposed to paying the shop he mentioned earlier the labor fee to swap the new fan clutch in for him.

I agree - no power gain worth noting but you could carry an extra person with the engine bay space that you gain!

·
Registered
657 Posts
electric fan swap.......... it will cost like $100 and you wont have to listen to the woooshing.. cant wait till mine goes........ im so sick of the wooshing.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
There isn't a power gain per se...but the less power that the engine needs to drive the accessories, the more power it has to drive the wheels. It's like lightened pulley's.

Yes I do realize that the electric fan will put a drag on your alternator that will cause it to take more power to work, but your electric fan won't be on all the time, and is really only useful at idle/low speeds.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha the reason i called pep boys was just to get a rough estimate in case it was a difficult install. (it was my dad actually, im a n00b)

I've got the time, and means to do the electric fan swap so i think i will do that.

Would you say TSS electric fan would be the best choice?

Thanks again.

Post Edited (Apr 26, 11:13am)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The problem was the fan clutch wouldnt move when pushed and required actual force to get it to turn.

I decided just to fix the fan clutch, got a new one, installed it and it works fine now. Thanks guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.