ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '88 2+2 is still running but I'm not sure how efficiently. I've got a bunch of mechanical problems that I just don't have the knowledge, skills, tools or money to fix. Here's a list:

-Coolant leak
-Oil leak (jacked the car up and got underneath and saw oil dripping from the belt)
-Electrical problems (every time I start the car the voltmeter and RPMs drop and then go up...sometimes stalls as I lift up the clutch, sometimes even if I keep the clutch depressed, sometimes doesn't stall just feels like it's about to. Also, needle goes down every time brakes are pressed or accessories used and then goes back up sometimes)
-Drove home yesterday and it was smoking like **** in 1-3 gear at low RPMs especially. The smoke was white and smelled like pure gas.
-Strange sound coming from muffler/exhause

So there's the list. There are other things that I'm either forgetting or are not major mechanical problems. I'm going to bring the car into the shop one more time and see how much it'll cost to fix her up. If it's too much I'm going to sell her to someone who can either fix it themselves or want it as a parts car. I'm out in Burlington, VT so if anyone nearby wants to check it out send me an email. I won't know if I'm selling for sure for at least a couple weeks but here's a heads up.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hate to break it to you but here it goes.

Coolant and Oil on the belt worse case scenario...
Sounds like the cam seals are leaking and the waterpump is going.

The other sounds like a beat alternator or a short somewhere...

The idle can be alot of things...
Was this ever tuned up since you owned it?

Needs a good chuck of work and if you cant do it....
the price can be pretty high.

Good Luck

·
Registered
194 Posts
Oh forgot...
White smoke out the back!
Thats water...could be a head gasket.

Is it rust free?
Might be a good parts car.
Sorry...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nearly rust free. a few minor (easily sprayable) spots and one major spot behind the passenger side rear wheel. I have the mudflap though and that should just be basic bondo work. your answers are sort of what im fearing. taking it down to the shop tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.