ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how extremely necessary is the 60k service on the NA Z? I can see the TTs needing the timing taken care of EVERY 60k right on the 60k with all the extra power and abuse, but with the NA, should I really, honestly be scared to drive my Z at 79k miles.

It's just that she's been sitting in my driveway for two months now. Begging me to drive her. I need to get the Z registered and I want to take her for a spin SOOO bad. But, according to you guys I shouldn't drive her anywhere but to the shop to have the 60k service done.

I plan on doing it as soon as I get the money, but I'm still recovering financially from Xmas and it may be a couple more months.

It's depressing, really.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
well think of it as a ticking time bomb. Yeah sure you could get away with driving it, but you might not.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
The n/a needs the service done just as the TT does. The reason TT guys freak out about it is because they have already pulled the motor 4 times this year and dumped deep 4 figures into it. Not to mention their motors are more expensive.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
It's a perfectly reasonable question. TT motors are under a lot more stress then n/a engines. Most n/a Z are not that moded and not so much raced as TT. Thus, n/a timng belt components after 60k are probably in better shape then TT ones.

Having said that, it's a cheap insurance to do your timing belt at around 60,000 miles, the repairs of the engine are much more expensive and frusturating..
I've heard of people driving 100,000 before the timing belt service was done, but hey it's a ticking bomb as nissan300zxz32 mentioned.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Well its really not the Miles that are is his problem its the age.....

15 years on a thin piece of rubber?

One of the local nissan gurus looked at my car and told me i could get away with just doing the belt, and the water pump. But he said i needed to do it asap or dont dog the car. As long as your not abusing it, little rolls around the neighborhood wouldnt be too bad.....

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
2nd. ^^^

I'm no master mechanic, but I learned that the changing the timing belt and water pump really is not that hard (as long as to get the sprocket behind the crank pulley on the right way...lol).

$35 and an afternoon of your time is well worth the peace of mind, IMO.

I'm not a gambling man... are you?

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
IMO - your car is no worse off then when it was was at 58,000 miles. If it ends up going to 62k before you get it done - same situation.

As long as no seals are leaking -- I could see the 60k t-belt service as being easy enough to do by someone that has average car servicing (hobby/leisure) type experience.

I'm in the middle of the 120k servicing and that does have a few more things to address - with a greater level of servicing difficulty.

Hope this helps???

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
2nd that slobo7x... well theres more pressure inside a TT engine and maybe more heat due to the pressure who knows and increased load on the engine and increased torque on the belt may stretch the belts and stretch the grooves, the extra heat may warp the belt, if the crank cog is putting out more torque than a NA then there will be more stress on the belt to get the cams to move with it, IMHO

not proper english and yeah i think ya know what im gettin at

be wise and do the belt anyway

Post Edited (Jan 11, 11:07pm)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate the opininons, and like I said, I'm definitely going to do it as soon as I get the money, and it's not a matter of $35 and some time. If that was the case, then it would be done. If I'm going to do it, I might as well do the entire 60k kit for $350 from Coz.

I have to register it first, though, I've got a feeling once I register it, I'm gonna have a lot of trouble keeping my hands off it.

But you guys have me scared to death to drive her to work one or two days a week for fear of destroying the engine. As much as I would love to drop a TT in, I definitely don't have the money for that right now.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
You guys that say that the NA belt is under less stress then a TT belt really don't know what you're talking about. The purpose of the belt is the same in both applications. The amount of work that needs to be performed by the belt is the same for both. The service interval for both engines is the same. Do the 60K and don't be stupid, otherwise your next post will be "Why wont my engine start". At 79K you're really pushing it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.