ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if you've run into this problem before, but I'm hoping you can help me.
I installed LED's today in the instrument panel and put the dash all back together, testing all the lights of course before I did so. Everything worked fine. Beautiful blue color. I drove to my friend's house an hour away after dark, and everything worked fine. I went to run to the store right by his house, and when I turned the lights on, I heard a distinct "pop" like the noise you hear when you turn a light on in your house and it flashes its last light with a pop and goes out. Now none of the LED's in the dashboard will light up - both instrument panel and side pods. I thought I blew a fuse, so I checked all of the fuses down by the clutch pedal and all looked good. Now here's the twist. I installed extra white LED's into the license plate area, and the rear red side markers. THose were working fine and looking great as well. Now after that "pop" those are all out as well. AND the rear running lights are out as well, so when I am driving in the dark, the entire rear end of the car has no lights. I just got pulled over by a cop for that about 30 min ago, now I'm trying to figure out what's up because I still have to drive home an hour away tonight, and am trying to not get pulled over again. Please let me know if you know anything that could help. Thanks.

p.s. I was going to try to look under the hood to see if maybe there was a fusible link blown, but I had just replaced the hood latch, and was in a hurry when I left and forgot to connect the cable to the hood latch. Now of course I cannot open my hood, and feel like a big dummy. Any way I can get that hood open? The initial spring latch is behind the front of the entire mechanism, so there seems to be no way I can get to it from the front/bottom of the car without opening the hood...

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
I wish I could help you but I'm poor on the electrical stuff. I'd try to get under the hood and check the rest of the fuses, that's about as complicated as I get without my Ohm meter.

Per the hood, if you get the car on ramps [or 2X4's of some sort] and take the splash gaurd off, your arm may be able to get to the mechanism. I know it will fit alongside the radiator to it at least. If you could get to it and quickly have a friend left the hood it might work.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed the splash guard and the MAS/air filter assembly. I cannot get to the hood release because it is actually behind the hood latch plate and appears to only be accessible from up top. I think I'm really in trouble here...

Post Edited (Jan 11, 5:32pm)

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
You'll actually need to cut the removable panel that fits over the air filter. There's a posting over on tt.net -- someone else had this same problem last year. If I find the link I'll edit and add to this post.

HERE'S THE HOW TO -- oooops looks like he didn't have to cut the panel but still looks to be a total pain in the ass to do....

<http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg.aspx?forum=technical&msg_id=912256&words=hood%3a%3alatch%3a%3acut%3a%3apanel>

Post Edited (Jan 10, 9:27pm)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jzack - thanks for the link. Its got exactly what I needed...a detailed pic of the back of the hood latch. Hopefully I'll be able to get around cutting a hole in my front panel like the other guy did.

p.s. He did actually end up cutting his nose panel, but you're right - looks like maybe he didn't have to. Guess I'll get to be the judge of that when I attempt the "alternative method" on Friday.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
i had the cable come off of my hood latch on my 96 this summer for some unknown reason, I was able to take my nose panel off and then just unbolt the hood latch to get the hood open, i would suggest you try and unbolt the latch to release the hood.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jzack (and anyone else interested) -

That link that you posted above? The one where the dude cut out a hole in his nose panel? Completely ignore all of that. And the part where he says you could possibly bend a screwdriver and reach it around behind the hood latch.

I finally got my hood open and it can be done a lot easier.
1.I simply removed the air filter/MAS assembly from the under the car. 2.Then I reached up and unbolted the hood latch from the frame.
3. Lifted up hood.
4. Sprung open the spring that was holding latch onto hood.

Now keep in mind that my situation was that I had forgot to reattach the cable that pulls open the spring from inside the car. Which goes on the back of the latch. If that spring/cable had still been attached, I don't know that I would've had such as easy time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.